Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about DC ports 1-3
Hi:

I've been examining how the controller works and learning a lot about the hardware. Regarding the DC ports, I still don't quite understand the reason and use case of the backup floats for DC ports 1-3. Could someone draw me a simple diagram of their relationships with the ports and also explain why would I need them, or not?

Thanks,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
Porty DC1-3 sluzia na zastavenie cerpadla alebo ineho prislusenstva. Ked sa hladina dotkne plavaku zapojena na DC1-3/float vypne port DC1-3.Idealne funguje ako zalozny plavak ktory nesnima ziadna elektronika
[-] The following 2 users Like pavol14pavol's post:
  • JFReyes, Rob F
Reply to top
To test how the dc1,2,3 port works, connect different devices to the 12 V pump, led light .... connect the device to the DC1 port and connect a float to the dc1 / float. In the settings, turn on port1 and move the swimmer to turn it on and off

Záložného plavca používam, keď mám nastavenú automatickú výmenu vody, ak zlyhá snímač hladiny, záložný plavec odpojí nasávacie čerpadlo. Ak nechcete používať záložného plavca, stačí pripojiť dc / float port káblom a dc port môžete použiť na rôzne účely
[-] The following 2 users Like loksik.lubos's post:
  • JFReyes, Rob F
Reply to top
Hi guys, thanks for the prompt response!

From what I understand then the float connections are a cutoff for each respective port when it is active. Hmm, I'll try that. Thanks again!

Regards,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
The DC backup ports are inline on the signal wire so they don't carry any load, if the float is open it cuts the GPIO signal going to port which will turn it off no matter what happens on the Raspberry Pi. This means there is nothing to setup in reef-pi as they are hardware based. Maybe the Pi fails after turning on a DC port, the backup float will still work.

So they add an extra layer of protection but can also be used on their own if you run low on sensor ports. For example, maybe you have a light in a cabinet and you want it to come on when cabinet door opens and off when closed. All you need to do is leave the DC port turned on in reef-pi, add any on/off switch wired to backup float port will do the switching.

https://www.google.com/search?q=on/off+s...af9HtN5tWM

You could even wire multiple switches in series, if any one of the open the port goes off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top
(02-18-2021, 09:54 PM)Rob F Wrote: So they add an extra layer of protection but can also be used on their own if you run low on sensor ports. For example, maybe you have a light in a cabinet and you want it to come on when cabinet door opens and off when closed. All you need to do is leave the DC port turned on in reef-pi, add any on/off switch wired to backup float port will do the switching.

I have a switch on my door, but haven't found a good way to use this in reef-pi.
But your tip is exactly what i needed  K0507

Thanks!
Reply to top
(03-09-2021, 02:30 AM)zee_zout Wrote: I have a switch on my door, but haven't found a good way to use this in reef-pi.
But your tip is exactly what i needed  K0507

Thanks!

Yeah that works good and doesn't use up a regular sensor port. If you have more sensor ports than backup float ports you can use them too, add the sensor to ATO tab in reef-pi and configure it to control the DC port the light is connected to.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North American AC Power Bar question blundr 11 5,539 01-01-2022, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  How many ports devices? gandalf 15 6,255 11-11-2021, 01:57 AM
  Question about new PCA9685 Expander JFReyes 1 3,274 01-23-2021, 12:57 PM