Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi Boot Configuration
I've seen other instructions saying that certain hardware options on the RP need to be set in th boot configuration but I don't see it mentioned in the manual and I see a few different versions of what those options should be, can someone point me to the correct manual or let me know what a "correct" set of boot config options for a RP4?
Reply to top
Hi, there are hardware settings that need to be changed, I created an install script that does all this, here's instructions how to run it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9ma...5qkcuznso3

Here's a link to the old manual that goes through the settings step by step if you prefer that.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qDCg...=h.4d34og8

P.S. I moved the thread to the reef-pi section of the forum.
Reply to top
Aah ok, got it. Perfect, thanks!
Reply to top
No problem, if you have more questions let me know.
Reply to top
Finally getting around to setting up the new controller as the old one kicked the bucket today (RIP!).  I checkout the install script you linked in above post and it seems to have an error when it tries to copy the reef-pi.db on line 233:

sudo cp /boot/reef-pi.db /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db

Would be better to use the installers current working directory to get the location of the db, as there is little chance of guessing where the user unzipped the installer

CWD="$( cd -P "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
sudo cp "${CWD}/reef-pi.db" /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
Reply to top
(10-12-2020, 05:23 PM)midwestE Wrote: Finally getting around to setting up the new controller as the old one kicked the bucket today (RIP!).  I checkout the install script you linked in above post and it seems to have an error when it tries to copy the reef-pi.db on line 233:

Would be better to use the installers current working directory to get the location of the db, as there is little chance of guessing where the user unzipped the installer

Oh noooo, what happened to it? 

I didn't think about that issue but see it could be a problem, thanks for the solution. I'm working on my own software for controller so this comes at a good time as I copy over quite a few more files during install.
Reply to top
(10-08-2020, 09:41 PM)mcarleton Wrote: I've seen other instructions saying that certain hardware options on the RP need to be set in th boot configuration but I don't see it mentioned in the manual and I see a few different versions of what those options should be, can someone point me to the correct manual or let me know what a "correct" set of boot config options for a RP4?

(10-12-2020, 07:13 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 05:23 PM)midwestE Wrote: Finally getting around to setting up the new controller as the old one kicked the bucket today (RIP!).  I checkout the install script you linked in above post and it seems to have an error when it tries to copy the reef-pi.db on line 233:

Oh noooo, what happened to it? 

I didn't think about that issue but see it could be a problem, thanks for the solution. I'm working on my own software for controller so this comes at a good time as I copy over quite a few more files during install.

Not really sure, it just decided not to power up today and I haven't really debugged it as I had the new controller still waiting to be hooked up :)  So far, so good.  It's plain looking but the overall operation is good so far on reef-pi.  So far the only thing I'm having issues with is the Eheim hardwired autofeeder that was working fine on the other one, but doesn't seem to work on reef-pi.
Reply to top
(10-12-2020, 07:35 PM)midwestE Wrote: Not really sure, it just decided not to power up today and I haven't really debugged it as I had the new controller still waiting to be hooked up :)  So far, so good.  It's plain looking but the overall operation is good so far on reef-pi.  So far the only thing I'm having issues with is the Eheim hardwired autofeeder that was working fine on the other one, but doesn't seem to work on reef-pi.

Interesting, at least you had the new one on stand by. It is plain and has a few quarks but it's reliable. 

Did you add a mosfet to your feeder or just solder wires to the feeder?

The feed port has the mosfet so it should be wired direct to feeder. In reef-pi you need to define the feeder port as an outlet connector, (should be there after copying the database you pointed out) add to the equipment tab and setup a timer that will turn on and off after 1 second.
Reply to top
I didn't add a mosfet, just opened it up and soldered directly to the leads using post that someone had written here.

My knowns/findings:

*Plugged into DC8/Feeder
*Equipment added and mapped to DC8/Feeder
*3.3v from + to ground
*3.6mv from data to ground
*Turning the equipment switch On/Off did not change the data voltage.

I suspect the data pin should be sending 3.3v when turned on?
Reply to top
(10-15-2020, 08:08 PM)midwestE Wrote: I didn't add a mosfet, just opened it up and soldered directly to the leads using post that someone had written here.

My knowns/findings:

*Plugged into DC8/Feeder
*Equipment added and mapped to DC8/Feeder
*3.3v from + to ground
*3.6mv from data to ground
*Turning the equipment switch On/Off did not change the data voltage.

I suspect the data pin should be sending 3.3v when turned on?

Feeder will be ok as this port is same as feeder port on old controller.

The data pin is a ground when active so you need to test using +3.3v or any other +5/+12v pin. When feeder port is turned on the ground will connect, you should see +3.3v on meter or voltage of positive pin being used.

Can you run the following command in the raspberry pi terminal.

i2cdetect -y 1

That will print the list of I2C devices, you should see 3 addresses, 40, 70 and 63. The DC ports are controlled with the PCA9685 so this will verify it's being seen.
Reply to top
Only getting 40 and 70 in column 0. No 63 anywhere
Measuring from data to 3.3v or 12v when turning on/off doesn't change, no 3.3v or 12v after on/off
Reply to top
(10-16-2020, 07:19 AM)midwestE Wrote: Only getting 40 and 70 in column 0.  No 63 anywhere
Measuring from data to 3.3v or 12v when turning on/off doesn't change, no 3.3v or 12v after on/off

I just realized you don't have the pH circuit that's why no 63 in the list. At the beginning that was an option. 

The 40 and 70 are for the PCA9685 so that's good. Can you try the feeder on say DC4 port, you can leave the power and ground from feeder on feeder port and move the data wire from feeder connector to the ground pin on a DC port. You can also just test voltage on other DC ports, they are all controlled with PCA9685, if they don't work then it's like a setting somewhere.
Reply to top
(10-16-2020, 12:14 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 07:19 AM)midwestE Wrote: Only getting 40 and 70 in column 0.  No 63 anywhere

I just realized you don't have the pH circuit that's why no 63 in the list. At the beginning that was an option. 

The 40 and 70 are for the PCA9685 so that's good. Can you try the feeder on say DC4 port, you can leave the power and ground from feeder on feeder port and move the data wire from feeder connector to the ground pin on a DC port. You can also just test voltage on other DC ports, they are all controlled with PCA9685, if they don't work then it's like a setting somewhere.

I've hooked it up to another dc port ground, turned it on momentarily and it worked.  First I tried DC3 (non float half) and it would not work.  Then I used DC1 and it worked as expected.  So the wiring to the feeder seems to be correct and my recollection of which is the data wire was confirmed.

Everything else seems to work at the moment, though I am running low on DC ports and I really want to get the feeder port working to free up another port for other items.
Reply to top
I was thinking about this and because you have the original board the PCA9685 isn't used for the feeder port, instead it's pin 21 on the Raspberry Pi, is this how you setup the outlet connector?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gXgB...1dbsuwpyq4

Did you add a jumper to the DC3 backup port? DC3 won't work unless that's added or a float is in the correct position.
Reply to top
That was it. I used what must be the RevB script for setup. I went through the manual and fixed the pin assignments and all is good. Feeder is now working fine. Now to figure out how to make the feeding macro reversible so I can use it on a timer.
Reply to top
(10-20-2020, 07:56 AM)midwestE Wrote: That was it.  I used what must be the RevB script for setup.  I went through the manual and fixed the pin assignments and all is good.  Feeder is now working fine.  Now to figure out how to make the feeding macro reversible so I can use it on a timer.

Great, sorry there is no RevA script so I set you up. 

I assume you need a macro so you can turn off equipment during feed, start with just one piece of equipment on macro to get it working then add the remaining.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stay off at boot dmsc2fs 5 2,181 10-01-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  10v PWM/Analog configuration & Testing mcarleton 11 5,966 10-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Rob F