Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATO Sensor Holder
While setting up the ATO system in Robo-Tank I needed a good way to mount the sensors into my sump. After looking around online and at the LFS nothing was exactly what I wanted so I decided to try 3D printing a mounting system. This is what I came up with:

I used white ABS as the printing material I have beed told that will be reef safe. I have never used ABS in a salt water application but so far so good. The bolts are 1/4 inch nylon from the local hardware store. Everything else is printed. I did brush each part with acetone to help make it more water proof. 

It will not let me include the stl files on the form but if anyone would like them pm me with your email address and I'll send them to you.
Reply to top
Wow, super cool man, I love it. I added stl file type so you should be able to upload if you want.
Reply to top
Thanks Rob, Here are the files if anyone is interested.

.stl   Level Sensor Main V2.stl (Size: 93.98 KB / Downloads: 227)

.stl   Lever Sensor Bottom.stl (Size: 120.71 KB / Downloads: 207)
Reply to top
very nice work looks very clean and well thought out
Reply to top
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I would like to thank Cris for excellent design of optical ATO holder. Of course big thanks also to Rob.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Very nice Miki, looks pro. :)
Reply to top
I like how clean your print is. Did you use ABS?
Reply to top
(06-23-2016, 12:15 PM)miki222 Wrote: Hi everyone, I'm new here and I would like to thank Cris for excellent design of optical ATO holder. Of course big thanks also to Rob.

Very Nice! Very CLEAN print.

ChrisC's mounting design attached the hanger portion to a horizontal lip on the sump. It's out of your photo's area of view, so I can't tell if your's is the same or you modified it by rotating the clip 90 degrees to attach to a vertical sump wall.
Reply to top
(06-23-2016, 01:06 PM)ChrisC Wrote: Páči sa mi, ako vyčistiť váš tlače. Použili ste ABS?

Thank you, I'm glad you like. No ABS, it is a PLA.

I could not get nilon screws so I have them also print from PLA and are firmly...
Reply to top
miki222 from what I have read you need to be careful using PLA in water. It breaks down over time and can cause problems. More so with saltwater. I don't have and personal experience with it but the research I have done recommends using ABS. That being said it will be interesting to see how yours hold up. Keep us posted.
Reply to top
Hello.
On my job, we use PLA for shrink sleeves ( eg. for copacking). It's a biodegradable matériel which is doesn't like water.
Dom.
Reply to top
Steve, you mentioned a vertical mount. I designed one like that to start with. If your interested in it I have attached the stl file. The depth of the hanger is 5mm that may be too small for some applications. Let me know if you need it deeper its easy to change.

.stl   Level Sensor Main Vertical.stl (Size: 69.21 KB / Downloads: 208)
Reply to top
Thank you for creating and posting.

I thought it would be helpful for others, as well.

For commercially made acrylic sumps, the 5mm hanger should be fine. Those modifying commercially made glass aquariums with the typical plastic rim protection as sumps may need a larger gap at the top.
Reply to top
Yes I know that the PLA is not well in seawater, it biomaterial and bacteria in salt water it decomposes over time but there are special sprays sprayed ktorym holder before inserting it into the salt water. Back when I was in pushing holder hair I tested my new printer that I've built a lot, I thought about this issue PLA and saltwater.
Reply to top