Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Forum
Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Printable Version

+- Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Forum (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum)
+-- Forum: Robo-Tank Arduino Based - NO LONGER AVAILABLE (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Current News and Design Ideas (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready (/thread-386.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-06-2019

(03-04-2019, 04:38 AM)aquaalgae Wrote: Yeah, I wasn't around either, but they were off. I'll pay more attention to it today to verify.

Well I hate to say it but that issue I found wasn't the issue. Just happened to notice only outlet 5 turned on, other lights didn't until I hit resume. I'll be looking and hope to have something tonight.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - aquaalgae - 03-06-2019

That's weird. I think it's been working ok for me. I will continue to monitor it.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-06-2019

Sorry, false alarm. I forgot last night I verified something for someone using 5.04 sketches and uploaded it to the controller which didn't have the fix. The sketch is still open and I just verified that's for sure. So yeah I'm still sure it's fixed. :)

Thought I would clarify an earlier remark when I said I didn't find the source when the auto sort happened. I followed everything back and the list of schedules was being sorted when the feeder started/stopped, maintenance started/stopped and the resume button was pressed. If any of those actions occurred after the schedules were searched the list wasn't in the order the run schedule function expected so it was likely only the first schedule with shared times ran.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-07-2019

Hi, I have v5.05 ready for download, password is the same. This has quite a few fixes, some I was sure I had working but apparently not. 

I got the Celsius issue fixed for the custom rules and the alerts. Now it's how I always intended, if you create an alert, rule or heater using F and switch to C everything will convert to C and vice versa.  Also if you had C selected you couldn't set the temp lower than 32 for alerts and custom rules, now you can go to 0. 

The auto feeder wouldn't run during a schedule or if the feed button was pressed on the web page, it would only run if you manually press the auto feed button. After I did all the testing I made a small change that stopped it from running. 

If a chiller was enabled it wasn't working and if all 3 heaters/chillers were enabled and then one was changed from a heater to chiller or vice versa the change didn't take effect to match the settings, only the icon and label got updated.

And finally the flow meters weren't working, should be good now.

There's still an issue that the Atlas ORP, DO and EC circuits aren't being read, someone has verified it's ok with 2 pH circuits so I'm trying to sort this out. Hope to have something for it in a day or two.

If anyone comes across any other issues please let me know.

If you were quick to download this within the first 60 minutes you have to do it again, sorry!

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-08-2019

Hi, so now v5.06 is ready for download, password is the same.

Thanks to someone bringing it to my attention, there were some problems with the maintenance mode but it carried into the feed mode, schedules and heaters/chillers. 

I always intended the settings on the feed and maintenance settings page would have overall say on the equipment status, if you select an outlet to be off it would turn off when the mode started and be stuck in that position until the duration of mode expired. If you were ok with schedules and custom rules running during the mode you would simply leave the main setting on the mode settings page alone. If you had specific custom rules or alerts setup that you didn't want to run during feed or maintenance you would simply set that in the custom rule or alert options.

That was the original idea but sadly it wasn't even close to working that way. Somehow I got confused or lost focus and got way off track when I assembled the controller code and knowingly ended up completely locking out critical systems such as heaters/chillers and schedules. Because I got mixed up if you selected an outlet to be on/off during feed or maintenance it would listen when the mode started but 10 seconds later or whatever it was possible something came along and turned that equipment on/off. Later I will be adding an option to the schedules so you can have the schedule be ignored during feed or maintenance just like the alerts and custom rules. 

I guess the nice thing is I was on track when I did the display so it was pretty easy to sort out and now it works as it should. I drew up a flow chart showing what has to happen before an outlet or DC accessory is turned on or off. In the next few days I should have a short simple flow chart manual that will have all systems laid out like this.

[Image: AC-DC_FlowChart.jpg]

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - johnrc - 03-08-2019

I'm trying to update to 5.06 but nothing happend.I placed to the sd the new files i run the schetches with or withouy power, with or without ethernet connected but i cant do the update.Any help accepted.....

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - elatos - 03-08-2019

A correction for version 5.06.
On the home screen the version number was not updated and it looks like 5.05.
And I'm sure about what I'm writing, since I went from 5.04 to 5.06.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 01:29 PM)johnrc Wrote: I'm trying to update to 5.06 but nothing happend.I placed to the sd the new files i run the schetches with or withouy power, with or without ethernet connected but i cant do the update.Any help accepted.....

What do you mean nothing happened? Is IDE showing any uploading status? 

(03-08-2019, 05:49 PM)elatos Wrote: A correction for version 5.06.
On the home screen the version number was not updated and it looks like 5.05.
And I'm sure about what I'm writing, since I went from 5.04 to 5.06.

Ah crap, I just checked and did forgot to change the version number.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - jlysaght3 - 03-08-2019

Hello Rob,

So I figured out my issues with the V5.0x, or so I believe.

By default, RT assigns a port on the power bar to be a heater outlet, and no matter what is scheduled the custom rules overrule my settings for that port. In my case my return pump was plugged into outlet 1, but the controller had automatically assigned that to heater 1, and with my heater temp control settings in the controller it was not ever kicking on because the temp was always over my "on" threshold. Once I tweaked this (by switching assigned outlet OR by changing trigger temp) I was able to overcome this issue.

The next issue I had is custom rules not running based off of a float level sensor. I am still finding this buggy - I had to set the float sensor rule to have a 5 second delay to ensure stability or else the outlets would audibly click on and off in quick succession before the controller apparently locked up on that port and would no longer operate the outlets (except in manual mode). If I reboot then I have to manually press the "resume" button on the home screen to get the controller outlets to resume automatic mode, so they are not launching into auto mode from initial booting.

I have yet to run the controller through a full day cycle (I just got this much working in the last hour) so I cannot report on the longevity of this fix, but will report back tomorrow for research sake.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-09-2019

Hi jlysaght3, it sounds like the eeprom wasn't setup properly when you initially updated to v5. By default all the outlet icons should have been N/A so no heaters would be assigned. The fact you experienced that means something is definitely not correct with the settings. Even though you've figured it out I'm worried a lot of other settings are way off, probably using 4.2 values.

I assume you have 5.06 loaded so go to settings, system and press restore defaults, the controller/display will restart after about 5 minutes and you should see all the outlet icons as N/A. Then you'll have to set things up again, sorry but you should really do this, definitely sounds like its required.

Float sensors can be quite sensitive and don't take much movement to open/close, any small waves can make that happen and because the custom rules are checked in real time that relay would chatter, not sure why it locked up though, I'll have to see if I can replicate that. Any time you use a float switch or any switch you should add at least a 1 second delay.

As for the manual mode the results you got is normal. If you put an outlet in manual mode this action is saved so if controller is restarted it will remember that outlet was in manual mode and will power back up that way. If you restart the controller or power outage it will always startup exactly as it was when it restarted. If you put something in manual mode you have to take it out of manual mode or it will remain in that state forever.

Let me know how it goes.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - jlysaght3 - 03-09-2019

Hi Rob,

So I did restore the controller to defaults before I programmed my custom rules and schedules, and that seemed to work. I'm wondering if my issue with the float switch response isn't an issue with the controller, but an issue with the float switch itself. I will have to swap it out for one of the spare ones I have and see what happens.

Regarding the system rebooting and needing to be put back in automatic mode - it does this even when the controller lost power while running in automatic mode - after power is restored the power bar relays do cycle, but there is almost always one (the skimmer, channel 4) that I have to manually start. It may show a green icon, indicating the outlet is on, but the relay does not click on. I can 'fix' this by going into the power bar controls and manually switching the outlet off thee on, then hitting resume and everything works again.

I did have another question relating to the ATO - I have a float switch in my ATO reservoir for a low water level sensor, to shut off the ATO system for safety and to send me an audible/email alert so that I am reminded to refill the reservoir. I can set an alert, but I don't see a way to disable the ATO based off of a float switch - is this an option on the controller?

I can think of a few reasons why it would be useful to disable the ATO during normal use - as a failsafe in case the tank were to leak (reducing the water volume that would leak slightly), preventing the pump from running dry/causing damage to itself, and for extended tank maintenance, such as vacuuming the detritus from the sump (although perhaps maintenance mode covers this). Is this an option?

Hey jlysaght3, I guess it's possible these floats have issues, I don't really know what happens when they go bad, I just assumed they get stuck open or closed. If you are moving the float manually to one side it definitely shouldn't make the relay chatter, that would only happen with waves or if you moved it rapidly.

Just to clarify, on this reboot issue does the outlet have the red M on it when the display starts up or just the outlet not turning on but display says it's on?

Good point on the ATO, something I never thought about. I now realize I forgot to add the ATO DC pump ports to the custom rules so the pump could be turned on/off regardless of the main float status but I believe this is different that what you are referring to.

You're talking about completely disabling the ATO using a custom rule so if it triggers the ATO can't startup up. Soon you'll be able to disable it during maintenance but having the option in the custom rule is good for the other possible scenarios you mention. I will try and get this added in the next week, now you spell it out I see that being a necessary thing.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - johnrc - 03-09-2019

Rob hello again,as i wrote before i have an issue with my lights.....
after the 5.0 till 5.06 update they dont fading off.i upload sketches many times but nothing.i did today restore defaults and reprogrammed again the light schedules but also nothing.what can i do to check whats going on?

Hey johnrc, that's not good. They fade to about 10-15% and then turn off right?

Do you know if they turn off when the last schedule starts or see a pattern with time or is it random time/brightness?
How many modes/schedules to you have running?
Can you send me each schedule times with fade duration?
What happens why you press the "Run 24hr Cycle" button above the modes?

If you haven't can you try setting up 2 light modes, first mode will fade to high and then set 2nd mode to fade to off and see if that works.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - jlysaght3 - 03-09-2019

(03-09-2019, 01:54 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hey jlysaght3, I guess it's possible these floats have issues, I don't really know what happens when they go bad, I just assumed they get stuck open or closed. If you are moving the float manually to one side it definitely shouldn't make the relay chatter, that would only happen with waves or if you moved it rapidly.
The floats are doing the same chatter if I manually move them to the opposite end of travel or if I let the water level do it. The way my sump is set up the float is in the stable level chamber, so water level only changes if my return pump turns off and the surface head on the main tank drains to the sump (approximately 10-12 gallons) causing the water level to rise in a consistent and stable manner. I'm assuming it must be a faulty float - I'll have to pick up some new wire harness wax coated shrink wrap before I can swap it out (I don't trust standard shrink wrap around saltwater)

(03-09-2019, 01:54 PM)Rob F Wrote: Just to clarify, on this reboot issue does the outlet have the red M on it when the display starts up or just the outlet not turning on but display says it's on?
No, all outlets are supposedly in automatic mode (no red M in the bottom corner) upon controller reboot. I can upload my sketches to you and provide all accessory connections for troubleshooting if you think it will help.

I have also noticed my dosing pumps are not operating on a schedule. I have dosing pump 2 (Red Sea NO3-PO4x) set to dose 2ml at 8am, with 2 more doses in 6 hour intervals daily and my reservoir still shows the same number of remaining doses, even after 24 hours with the controller running in auto mode. I can manually dose, but the auto dosing is not functioning.

(03-09-2019, 01:54 PM)Rob F Wrote: Good point on the ATO, something I never thought about. I now realize I forgot to add the ATO DC pump ports to the custom rules so the pump could be turned on/off regardless of the main float status but I believe this is different that what you are referring to.

You're talking about completely disabling the ATO using a custom rule so if it triggers the ATO can't startup up. Soon you'll be able to disable it during maintenance but having the option in the custom rule is good for the other possible scenarios you mention. I will try and get this added in the next week, now you spell it out I see that being a necessary thing.
Sounds great! I'd love to see it as an option - I know that you are a freshwater guy, but for us saltwater people the ATO may not be used just for water level maintenance, but also for additives (kalkwasser, salinity maintenance, etc.) and I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being on top of the updates and customer support for the RT. I am looking forward to your pH and Salinity isolator boards!

Yeah try another float, hopefully that's it.

The outlet startup issue almost sounds hardware related, I say that because when everything is powered up the controller first loads, during this process it sets all the equipment to the state it should be in as you can run it without the display. Now during the display startup the controller assembles an array of all the IDs for outlets and DC accessories that are turn on and sends it to the display, when the display runs through it if the ID for an outlet is in the array it turns the icon green. So because the icon is green that means the controller did run the function which turns the outlet on as the status has to be 1 to get in the array, that happened so a command would have been sent to the power bar but either the command didn't make it or the relay was stuck. It sounds like the code is doing what it should. What kind of power bar do you have?

I'll look into the dosing pumps and yeah maybe send me your settings and I'll load it.

pH will be soon and hopefully Salinity and ORP not to much longer.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - johnrc - 03-10-2019

They fade to about 10-15% and then turn off right?

I dont know the % but always is the same i think,maybe a little higher than this.Also is always only the last schedule before the moonlight

Do you know if they turn off when the last schedule starts or see a pattern with time or is it random time/brightness?

They turn off when the last schedule finish.

12:00am - 0m moonlight
1:00pm - 120m sunset
3:00pm - 120m miday
5:00pm - 90m noon
8:00pm - 120m evening
10:00pm - 120m sunset

It is running perfect.

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - niksunen - 03-10-2019

I want to ask what is latest version that work with my old boards. I believe i had gen 2 boards. Does v5.0 work with those old boards :D Now there is installed v3.40

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - Rob F - 03-10-2019

(03-10-2019, 12:27 AM)johnrc Wrote: They fade to about 10-15% and then turn off right?

I dont know the %  but always is the same i think,maybe a little higher than this.Also is always only the last schedule before the moonlight

They turn off when the last schedule finish.

12:00am - 0m   moonlight
1:00pm - 120m sunset
3:00pm - 120m miday
5:00pm - 90m  noon
8:00pm - 120m evening
10:00pm - 120m sunset

It is running perfect.

I just got those % from an earlier post but couldn't find much more than that.

Looking at the schedules I'm curious, why do you have moonlight mode as number one? 

All the schedule times are sorted, even though it's the first schedule it would be the last to run or at least should be.

Can you change the 12:00am to 12:01am or 11:59pm, I'm thinking it might going to the top of the list and causing that so there's a good chance that will fix it.

(03-10-2019, 11:37 AM)niksunen Wrote: I want to ask what is latest version that work with  my old boards. I believe i had gen 2 boards. Does v5.0 work with those old boards :D Now there is installed v3.40

It will be gen 2 with that version so yeah v5 will work. :)

RE: Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready - johnrc - 03-10-2019

In the biggening I tried the monnlight last and after to the first position and also two different moonlight schedules at first and last position but nothing fixed.
Now i put the moonlihht schedule last and changed the time to 12.01 am so i will inform you at two hours from nowif the problem fixed or not.....