Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Forum
Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Printable Version

+- Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Forum (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum)
+-- Forum: Robo-Tank (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Reef-pi Software Questions (https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 (/thread-1232.html)

Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - pwest - 06-20-2021

Hello:
I recently set up my Robo-Tank/Reef-pi system and put my two return pumps under the control of DC 1 and DC 2 (through an IoT realay).  All worked pretty much as expected and the controls showed up under 'Outlets', which are available under 'Equipment', and I was able to create macros and timers to turn them on and off.  Very good.

Now, I would like to do the same thing using DC 4 and DC 5, but those outputs don't show up under 'Outlets'.  Instead, they are under 'Jacks', but I see no way to turn them on and off as I was able to do for DC 4 and DC 5.

Can someone help me understand the concept here?

Thanks,
Phil

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Rob F - 06-20-2021

Hi Phil, in reef-pi outlets are to control any outputs via on/off and Jacks are used to control PWM outputs.

The DC ports are controlled via PWM pins so they can be added as an outlet or jack depending on what you're doing.

DC ports are good for dosing pumps, that's why I configured DC 4 - 7 as Jacks. Dosing pump and light module in reef-pi can only use Jacks.

So all you need to do is delete the Jacks and add back as outlets, then you can use them on the equipment tab.

Before deleting connectors always make sure it's not be used in reef-pi. For example if you have DC 1 on equipment tab and wanted to change as a Jack, first delete DC 1 from equipment then it's safe to delete from connectors.

Any time you make changes to connectors or anything on "configuration" tab you need to go to "admin" tab and press the "reload" button.

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - pwest - 06-20-2021

OK: thanks--this solved that issue.

One follow up: I have my lights on two 0-10v outputs using Diurnal and they are working well. Sometimes, I like to light the tank up for
a few mins when the lights are off, so I wanted to create a macro to turn them on, but I see no way to do that. Under Macro, add steps, I see nothing about lighting. Is there some other way to do this?

Thanks,
Phil

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Rob F - 06-20-2021

Great, unfortunately the only way to have the lights come on would be via a timer or you could setup a light mode, set it to manual and move the sliders when you want to turn it on manually.

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - pwest - 07-04-2021

(06-20-2021, 04:35 PM)Rob F Wrote: Great, unfortunately the only way to have the lights come on would be via a timer or you could setup a light mode, set it to manual and move the sliders when you want to turn it on manually.
I tried the manual mode w/the sliders.  At first the lights came on and I though it had worked, but then the lights went out after a few mins.  Then they came back on.  Almost as if *both* programs were running and 'fighting' with each other.
Does that seem likely, or did I not set it up properly?
-Phil

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Rob F - 07-04-2021

Hmm, I guess that could be possible if the program is always setting the modes every few seconds, unfortunately I'm not sure how it works internally. I'll do some playing tonight to see if I can get it working, I'll let you know.

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Rob F - 07-06-2021

Sorry it took so long to get back, I tried some things but it didn't work, I was getting same results as you. Looks like it's not possible at this time.

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - pwest - 07-06-2021

Rob:
Thanks for looking into this for me. Generalized macros would be a good feature for your software!

-Phil

RE: Help me understand DC 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6,7 - Rob F - 07-06-2021

No problem, sorry I couldn't help. My version of macros are called custom rules, they should be good to cover any scenario and you can add temporary light modes that you can easily switch on/off.