boot-loop

zstreetreef

fresh install robotank 6.7 on new sd card, bullseye 32 bit full, version 1 controller. when I start to enable ports raspberry pi goes into a boot-loop.

fresh install robotank 6.7 on new sd card, bullseye 32 bit full, version 1 controller. when I start to enable ports raspberry pi goes into a boot-loop.
Hi @zstreetreef sorry to hear this, I think it might be related to the pca9685 or I2C.

Was it a DC port or PWM port that you enabled and caused this?

I think you will have to do another install, I think just running the install script again should reset things.

It sounds like after the install it was running ok? If so before enabling any ports can you run the following command in the SSH terminal.

i2cdetect -y 1

Also don't change the controller version during the install wizard, leave it as v3 and once completed changed the controller version from the system settings page.

If you are able to log into the database, go to the i2cDevices table and let me know what records it has. Also go to the "errors" table and see what it shows.

I managed to get my setup in a death loop, it's game over at that point.

In v6.7 I added some checks, when a GPIO or pca9685 is switched the system verifies that the state of the pin actually changed. If it didn't it will try up to 100 times, if it still fails it reboots the Pi, the thought is if I2C bus locks up this would fix it. After the reboot it tries again, if it still fails it reboots and this continues forever. I'm going to change it so it will only reboot a few times and give up trying. I also have to figure out why it happened, I hope to have it fixed tonight.

Should be ok now. If it needs to reboot it'll only happen 3 times. Let me know how it goes. If you can still check the "errors" table in the database that would be great.

Last edited:
just did a fresh install. using chromium-browser. this time I enabled dcport7 and it went right into a boot loop. I waited for about 20 reboots. it would not stop. before I could enable about 4 ports, dc and/or pwm before it would go into the boot loop. I am using a raspberry pi 3 b+ stand alone, not in the controller. I have tried the app in the controller version 1 and it would also go into a boot loop.

just did a fresh install. using chromium-browser. this time I enabled dcport7 and it went right into a boot loop. I waited for about 20 reboots. it would not stop. before I could enable about 4 ports, dc and/or pwm before it would go into the boot loop. I am using a raspberry pi 3 b+ stand alone, not in the controller. I have tried the app in the controller version 1 and it would also go into a boot loop.
That makes sense. Currently I have the pca9685 in the database so it's trying to communicate with it but obviously can't. You can try the following.

Go in the database to the "i2cDevices" table. The 2nd record will have "decAddress" of 64, change the "enabled" and "running" columns to 0. Then reboot the controller and see if it happens again.

no luck. fresh install. change decaddress of 64 of enabled and running to 0. restarted controller. double check to make sure the changes were still on 0. enabled dc7 - ok, enabled pwm channel 1 - went into a boot loop again.

no luck. fresh install. change decaddress of 64 of enabled and running to 0. restarted controller. double check to make sure the changes were still on 0. enabled dc7 - ok, enabled pwm channel 1 - went into a boot loop again.
Unfortunately there's a bunch of changes in the code to make it work as is. You could try to delete the pca9685 in the i2cDevices table however if you do that you won't have those ports available. What are you trying to do?

currently running reef-pi on version 1 controller. It is controlling the following:
channel 1 & 2 - kessil a360w
5 dc ports
9 ac outlets (set up to use all the ac outlets)
auto feeder
ato
ph probe
temp sensor
macros

I have future plans with the controller:
auto water change
skimmer shut off float
controller for dc return pump
flow meter

I have been extremely happy with the controller. I like what I see on the robotank app and would like to use it.
Is the robotank app 6.7 geared more for the version 3 controller? I do like the design and set up with the capabilities of adding modules.
Very impress with all the work you are doing with Robo-Tank.

currently running reef-pi on version 1 controller. It is controlling the following:
channel 1 & 2 - kessil a360w
5 dc ports
9 ac outlets (set up to use all the ac outlets)
auto feeder
ato
ph probe
temp sensor
macros

I have future plans with the controller:
auto water change
skimmer shut off float
controller for dc return pump
flow meter

I have been extremely happy with the controller. I like what I see on the robotank app and would like to use it.
Is the robotank app 6.7 geared more for the version 3 controller? I do like the design and set up with the capabilities of adding modules.
Very impress with all the work you are doing with Robo-Tank.
Thanks, glad to hear you are enjoying it, reef-pi is a great piece of software.

If you do try the app it's best to install it on an SD card and you can go back to reef-pi if needed. v1 controller should work, the only difference is the pinout and those get switched when you change the controller version. There was an issue changing controller version during the initial startup wizard, just to be safe leave it at v3 controller. Then when the wizard finishes go to "system settings" page and change to v1 controller. Then you can go to the "configure ports" screen and setup each port.

Back