Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
robotank
Dobrý deň,

Prečo boli všetky položky robotank na predaj odstránené?
Reply to top
Hi pavol14pavol, I removed everything at this time because I'm finished with it for now. It's impossible to make money and I've gone broke with it. As I'm currently unable to offer full support I took it down until/if I can figure something out.
Reply to top
I sure would like to know what all that is translated into English. Thanks.
Reply to top
Hi Jerry, he was asking why the controller wasn't on the website anymore.
Reply to top
(12-08-2019, 05:45 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Jerry, he was asking why the controller wasn't on the website anymore.
Sad to hear that Sad . Will you still provide online support?   Are there any controllers built but not sold?
Reply to top
Yeah was a sad day. Will definitely still support whats out there and the forum will remain as it is. At this time I don't have a full controller for sale.
Reply to top
Sad to hear it,why you decide to stop?Is there a possibility for us with gen 2 boards  to have a fully functional version update 
?
Reply to top
Hi johnrc, there's a couple reasons and I do hope to bring it back.

I don't even sell them anymore, last sale has been at least 3 months, well actually just shipped the last on the weekend but that only happened because I took it down and giving a deal lol. There's interest but the cost is just too high, $10 more you get an Apex, even I would probably choose the Apex.

v5 also hasn't been so great to me. Since there has been a lot of issues with the I2C bus locking up that didn't happen in v4.2. v5 is much faster so I think its a timing thing but can't figure it out, it's a troubleshooting nightmare as not everyone experiences it and I've personally never had the issue. I've been working on it and some changes fixed it for some but not all. Most users are actually using v4.2 as it ok. Which version are you running?

I thought about just going back to v4.2 and adding a few of the features from v5 but that isn't going to help any. Bottom line is I screwed up and took the wrong path, back in the day when things were simpler and cheaper I was actually happy with sales, now it's a joke and won't get better.

I also don't have anymore to sell and don't have the money to restock when things will just sit in the drawer.

Then the other downfalls, no full web, display isn't instant and not much factory equipment can connect so no reason to choose DIY over Apex when price is the same. Of course now there is no interest from DIYers which was the whole idea.

So I'm going to try once more, I've learned a lot and know where and how I screwed up and think I can nail it, just can't get carried away.

With the planned changes the controller and a good AC power bar PCB will be as low as $130 and blow away what I have today. ;)
Reply to top
Well to put things in perspective...

I’m a member of one of the largest forums in holland with about 10.000 active members who run one or more tanks (fresh and salt mixed)
At best there are about 100-200 people who run a full controller on one of thier tanks.
There is one other guy on that entire forum who runs a DIY controller that I know of.

All the other people either do everything by hand or have stand alone equipment (jebao dp4 dosing and/or tc420 ledcontroller) or Just use programmable outlets which you buy for under €10.

So you have a very limited client base, even with the plug&play kits.
Stand alone equipment for a standard fresh water tank (dosing, outlets and LED control) would cost about €80 over here, so €50 extra for a touchscreen isn’t all that bad.
The “challenge” you have would be selling the screen so to say
Reply to top
Hi fietsenrex, I agree the market isn't that large for all-in-one controllers and many shopping can't afford one. My first year when prices were at their lowest I was averaging at least 5 a month, as the package grew sales dropped, the new energy power bar was the final nail. I think many are interested in all-in-one but don't follow through because as you mentioned everything has a standalone controller and cost doesn't justify.

Most people who have my controller seem to use outlets, ATO, feeder and dosing pumps. Then the real DIYers also typically use some LED channels and DC ports for light cooling fans. Some also want auto water change, the analog ports are useful for things like this and that's why I added the maintenance mode so the system could be started up better.

I'm at a point where I'm 100% happy with the features, I'm not even considering controlling power heads or other equipment anymore. So if a customer only has to spend $150 to be up and running vs $450 its a new game. Robo-Tank has never been a cheap system, the lowest to get running was $250 with display etc... and I did well. I know I can bring price down to $150 and the controller will be more than it ever has been.

I'm very confident you won't find anything like this for $150 that will ATO, AWC, 8 outlets, 8 dosing, 16 LED's, feeders, stirrers and much more plus the best support you'll find anywhere. ;)
Reply to top
Well in my opinion, things don’t have to be cheap.
You have to get your moneys worth.
With that said I don’t think the price tag isn’t that bad for all those options, but not everybody wants or uses those options and therefore aren’t willing to pay for it.
As for support, I think you nailed it.
Always reasonable fast (there is a timezone difference) and most of the time pretty accurate which solves most problems instantly
Reply to top
Overall the controller will be simpler which brings the cost down so I'll still be making what I need and it'll be a lot less work then now.

The cost to add extra ports is very low that's why I add lots, this time it'll be done in a better way. That's my advantage and what most people were drawn to, even if they don't use everything it's nice to know other things can be done without needing to spend more. For sure not for everyone but if price is right a lot of DIYers like a project.
Reply to top
what software to use to create icons and display the display
Reply to top
(12-11-2019, 10:23 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi fietsenrex, I agree the market isn't that large for all-in-one controllers and many shopping can't afford one. My first year when prices were at their lowest I was averaging at least 5 a month, as the package grew sales dropped, the new energy power bar was the final nail. I think many are interested in all-in-one but don't follow through because as you mentioned everything has a standalone controller and cost doesn't justify.

Most people who have my controller seem to use outlets, ATO, feeder and dosing pumps. Then the real DIYers also typically use some LED channels and DC ports for light cooling fans. Some also want auto water change, the analog ports are useful for things like this and that's why I added the maintenance mode so the system could be started up better.

I'm at a point where I'm 100% happy with the features, I'm not even considering controlling power heads or other equipment anymore. So if a customer only has to spend $150 to be up and running vs $450 its a new game. Robo-Tank has never been a cheap system, the lowest to get running was $250 with display etc... and I did well. I know I can bring price down to $150 and the controller will be more than it ever has been.

I'm very confident you won't find anything like this for $150 that will ATO, AWC, 8 outlets, 8 dosing, 16 LED's, feeders, stirrers and much more plus the best support you'll find anywhere. ;)
Ok, I'm in. When witll this $150 killer setup by available? K05178
Reply to top
(01-13-2020, 04:34 PM)pavol14pavol Wrote: what software to use to create icons and display the display

Hi pavol14pavol, I sent you an email with it.

(01-13-2020, 04:38 PM)Jerry W Wrote: Ok, I'm in. When witll this $150 killer setup by available? K05178

Hi Jerry, don't have a date, hopefully sooner then later.
Reply to top
Email was not delivered if you sent something
Reply to top
Rob, sorry to hear about your hardships. I'ts inspirational that your not giving up though. I agree completely with your new assessment of the controller market. I was always hesitant to buy your controller over the Apex because the cost was so close and the web interface on the Apex is a beautiful thing. However, now that your integrating the Reef-pi into your project and focusing on staying well bellow the Apex price, I think a lot of people will be interested. There is a large market of DIYers using the reef-pi and I think it's growing. The Reef2Reef forum's Reef-pi thread is very active. Let me know when those boards are ready. Peace brother.
Reply to top
Thanks reefslope, the change will definitely give me another shot at success, I can't quit yet. You weren't the only one to feel that way on the price, so far from my original idea with the project. Plus it was also too much work trying to do everything, now I can focus on hardware, documents and support. I see the massive Reef-Pi thread, I sent a message to Ranjib inquiring about the pH circuit and if I could manufacture and sell, he couldn't be nicer and gave me his blessings. :) Expect to have the boards in a couple weeks.
Reply to top
make sure to hook me up just send out emails when your ready bro members on this boards will still be here.. can I run software 4.2 on a version 2 boards??
Reply to top
Thanks and will do. You can run 4.2 on Gen 2 boards, it should work.
Reply to top