Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
having problems updating
Hi I'm trying to up date from v4.2 to v5.13. when I try to upload a sketch to controller I get error compiling 

Controller.ino:88:25: fatal error: moon_phases.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Multiple libraries were found for "Ethernet.h"
 Used: C:\Users\brfre\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet

I tried to upload a sketch to the display and also got an error

Display.ino:184:22: fatal error: addons.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.
Reply to top
Hast du die Bibliotheken der Versionvon V 4.2 zu V5.13 geändert ? Ich gehe mal davon aus , das du es vergessen hast. Denke auch an den Arduino Mode der durchgegührt werden muss, sie Rob`s Anleitung bei v5.13 first install
Reply to top
I did change the libraries files. I did it over again just incase some files got left out but I still get the same error when uploading sketch.
Reply to top
Hi brfreeman7, it almost looks like you aren't extracting the download package, maybe you are just double clicking into it and browsing as Windows allows this. However doing that the paths are not what the Arduino IDE expects so you have to actually right click the download ZIP file and click extract to folder. Then go into that folder and open the sketch for upload.
Reply to top
Hi Rob you were right I didn't extract the files. so I was able to upload the sketches but the display isn't starting up. It shows v5.13 and one red bar at the bottom of the screen. I seen you noted to change the display type if that happens but I don't see anyway to do that.
Reply to top
Did you run the pre-update on both arduino’s?
And did you preform a full powercycle? (Power off on all parts of the controller for at least 5 minutes)
Reply to top
no I didn't pre-update. I will try that thanks

I was able to pre update the display but not the controller, still wont start up. when I go to select the port it's connected to it doesn't give me any options. I didn't have that problem when uploading the sketch.
Reply to top
Can’t speak for your situation But a powercycle or hitting the reset button on the arduino will help sometimes.

What exact error do you get while uploading to the controller?
Reply to top
I did power cycle it. the error just says cant find broad on selected port.
Reply to top
And if you put the cable on your pc in a different port and set the IDE to the correct port?
Reply to top
Yeah I only have one working port on my laptop but I can connect to display with that port just not the controller
Reply to top
Sometimes the same USB port has different com Ports in the IDE.
So you could have a different port number for display and controller
Reply to top
(04-22-2019, 10:49 AM)brfreeman7 Wrote: no I didn't pre-update. I will try that thanks

I was able to pre update the display but not the controller, still wont start up. when I go to select the port it's connected to  it doesn't give me any options. I didn't have that problem when uploading the sketch.

It almost sounds like the Arduino on controller isn't erasing itself however if that's the case you should still get a port number in the Arduino IDE. 

Are you leaving the controller powered up from the main power supply?

When you have controller powered up and you plug in USB does your computer make a sound acknowledging you plugged something in?

In the Arduino IDE when you go to ports menu does it show Com 1 and then another com for your Arduino?
Reply to top
Yeah I did have it powered up on main supply. When I plug it in my laptop it dose recognize it but when I go to select the board and port in the Arduino IDE port is grey and doesn't show any com's.
Reply to top
Something sounds off with the IDE, with no Arduino connected to computer the Port submenu should still show COM1. Also as your computer recognizes the USB but it doesn't show up in the list makes me think something is up with the IDE itself. The only issue I've seen is the com shows up and can be selected but when uploading it'll say Com X not found. That's what happens with the erasing issue I spoke about. You might have to try uninstalling the Arduino IDE and re-installing it. The IDE does have a lot of quirks and quite a few people have had to do this.
Reply to top
I tried reinstalling the Arduino IDE and it still doing the same thing. also I can connect to the display but not the controller
Reply to top
As that didn't work it must be the Arduino. Are you able to lift the board in the case and move the USB extension to the other USB on Arduino. The 2nd port is called a Native port, you can't view the serial monitor on this port but you can program. Before programming in the IDE for board type select the Due that says Native USB port beside it and the com port should say Native as well.
Reply to top
Ok I switched usb ports and that worked. I was able to upload the sketch. It was connected to the native port so I switched it to programing port. I must have hooked it up wrong when I took the controller apart before. Thanks for the help
Reply to top
Good to hear, when the display started for first time if you didn't get the OK button with a message saying you are updating then go to settings, system and press restore defaults just to be sure everything is updated.
Reply to top
Unfortunately I have another problem after updating there are no Icons or pictures on the display
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lighting problems fietsenrex 5 4,100 10-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  updating to 2.91 Shift_bob 28 23,531 12-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Rob F