Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble understanding port number
Hi Rob
Good work with ver 5, it looks great and controller is very smooth and upgrading software was all ok,

having few issues setting up of ATO, port number dont make any sense when compared to original instructions manual,
ATO main float switch which is connected to port 3, plug3, is reading ok, however unable to see ATO back up switch, it was connected to port 2 plus 2 and was working ok, however now when i select port 2 then no change on switch input,
also ATO pump was connected to port 4 plug 4 but no longer working or selectable,
Can u please help,

also no network connection, does it need to enable in controller anywhere?
Reply to top
Hi Notorious.jatt, thanks, the ports haven't changed just the name of the port. The same ports you used for ATO you still use but change the name of them so it matches gen3.

You can get the correct port names from the new faceplate. Here's a link. For everything start with the first port on your controller and it'll be the same as the first port for same type on faceplate. For example water temp is the first temp port on Gen 2, that would be "temp 1 / port 9" in the software.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Co...-Faceplate

You do have to enable the network, go to settings, system and bottom of screen you will see option. Once you change it and go back it'll appear unchecked but it's still ok. That is fixed for next update coming soon.
Reply to top
(06-16-2019, 02:19 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Notorious.jatt, thanks, the ports haven't changed just the name of the port. The same ports you used for ATO you still use but change the name of them so it matches gen3.

You can get the correct port names from the new faceplate. Here's a link. For everything start with the first port on your controller and it'll be the same as the first port for same type on faceplate. For example water temp is the first temp port on Gen 2, that would be "temp 1 / port 9" in the software.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Co...-Faceplate

You do have to enable the network, go to settings, system and bottom of screen you will see option. Once you change it and go back it'll appear unchecked but it's still ok. That is fixed for next update coming soon.

cool, network is all sorted and works fine, still struggling with ATO system, see the screen shot of the controller, does it look normal? there is no port 7 or port 8 mentioned.
my old board with v4.3, ato main float is on port 3 and ATO backup on port 2 and DC motor on port 4,
i cannt seems to figure out unless i open the controller and start from basic

also the display never goes to sleep or show screensaver, any ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
ATO uses what's called port 6 for main and port 7 for backup. At top it says "Default Port 6". If you have labels on your controller change to match the face plate. Port 2 and 3 are now analog ports but only the name changes, the pin functions don't change, the same 2 are used for ATO only the label changed. I do see on ATO screen you are in "working" mode, change to "test mode" so the delay is gone. As for DC port 8, it's still DC port 4 on your controller only change your port 4 label to port 8 so it matches.

The backup port 7 has no settings that's why you see no mention of it. The backup simply cuts the GND to the ATO pump so the controller has nothing to do with it.

Screensaver wasn't fully added that's why it's not functioning, it is finished and will be out in a few days.
Reply to top
ok, cool, ATO works in test mode so hopefully all ok,
Sorry Rob but another issue i am facing, every morning controller is frozen atleast time is not running and network symbol is red and then when i restarted the controller, it wont boot up, display stuck at first red bar,
Couple of times i replaced the controller SD file and it started working but same again in nite, this happened 3 nites in row now,
not sure what the issue is, i m thinking about fresh install unless u suggest different. if i were to fresh install, how do i do that, start the procedure from "Pre-update step"?
Reply to top
No need to be sorry, I'm sorry you're having issues. Few questions.

What controller board version do you have? On it under the logo it'll say Rev E or something.
Do you have a pH or anything other I2C devices connected?
Is it freezing at the same time or random?

I don't think a fresh install will do much, as it uploaded you had everything correct. It might be worth going to settings, system and doing the restore defaults, this is the same as pre-update sketch but better because there is probably a few eeprom locations not getting setup with pre-update as I've been adding more with updates.

With that said I will email you an update controller sketch to upload, after doing that do the restore defaults and see how it goes.
Reply to top
Hi Rob
It is revision F.
so i have upload the sketch you sent but same controller didnt boot up, i took SD card out of controller and replace the files and it does start. i did restore default which worked and controller boot with fresh setting but soon after i gets locked up again and same thing again, stuck in boot screen,
i am gonna disconnect network cable and see how it goes

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Well that's not good, how long did you let it sit with one dot? It could just be waiting to connect to the network and almost sounds like what's happening. Two things can make it hang at startup, connecting to network but this will time out in 30-60 seconds and then the display will startup. The 2nd is if the I2C goes unresponsive. Sometimes after programming something happens to the Arduino and the I2C doesn't work so the controller doesn't start because it gets stuck trying to read the eeprom. Completely powering it down will fix it and it shouldn't happen again. In your case it sounds like the 1st. If this happens again can you let it sit with splash screen and see if it eventually starts, that sounds funny. :) If it does and it was web related the web will auto disable and that problem shouldn't happen again unless you enable web and it continues to have issues.

Did you use the web features in v4.2? Since you've disabled has it continued working?
Reply to top
Hi Rob
it seems like the network , as i have disconnected ethernet and controller is ok now, I havent got any I2C sensor connected, all i have is couple of temp sensor and ATO sensors and motor.
Yes V4.2, same networks was working fine and all the web features and email alerts were all ok, and even when it boots up, and we feature is enabled, i get online features working weather and stuff.
i gonna leave network disconnected for now and will try again later,
thanks
Reply to top
Hi notorious.jatt, I've been going through things but can't spot anything that might cause this, oddly enough someone else is having this same problem yet to my knowledge I haven't had anyone else experience this. When your ready now that the controller is running ok try enabling it again and see how it goes, I will continue to look into it.
Reply to top
Cool! This thread is very helpful for me as new.
Reply to top
Hi Rob, sorry for not getting back, but yes i tried plugging in network cable and exact same issue, green connection symbol on display goes red after a while and then if u restart controller, display get stuck on first red loading bar and never boot up, i left it for many hours,
even if i unplug network cable it still doesnt boot, only way it get it working is by replacing all the files in controller SD card with original files that u provided with update.
I didnt get a chance to troubleshoot this any further,
Reply to top
(07-05-2019, 03:13 AM)ZeeSocial Wrote: Cool! This thread is very helpful for me as new.

Hi ZeeSocial, this only applies to an older controller, everything matches for the current setup.

(07-05-2019, 06:17 PM)notorious.jatt Wrote: Hi Rob, sorry for not getting back, but yes i tried plugging in network cable and exact same issue, green connection symbol on display goes red after a while and then if u restart controller, display get stuck on first red loading bar and never boot up, i left it for many hours,
even if i unplug network cable it still doesnt boot, only way it get it working is by replacing all the files in controller SD card with original files that u provided with update.
I didnt get a chance to troubleshoot this any further,

Hi notorious.jatt, because you have to replace the files on controller SD it sounds like they are becoming corrupted. When the IP address is replaced it will delete a file on the SD and create a new one and probably where it's locking. Any chance you have another SD card to try?
Reply to top
This is cool! This thread is very helpful for me. Good job
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  transistor Peristaltic pump number 8 jmcadsl 1 2,830 10-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Port assignments Skwerl77 5 5,681 07-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Video - Port Forwarding Robo-Tank Rob F 3 55,119 03-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Last Post: rott
  Trouble shooting dosing pumps TilmanBaumann 12 11,324 01-21-2016, 02:27 PM