Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software Updates
Hi, just thought I would clarify software updates as some may be confused.

The software for the 2nd Generation controller is completely different from the original controller. The original controller had 3 Arduino's and the 2nd Generation controller uses two, also a lot of different ports and pinouts are different. Because of that I have discontinued support on the original software so there will be no more updates for that original controller to come.

The new software is a major upgrade and because it does not apply to the original controller an update to the 2nd Generation software is not available unless you purchase an upgrade to the new controller.

This does fall in line with my software license and I'm sorry for any trouble this might cause someone but in order to use the new firmware the controller has to be updated. Anyone who purchased the "software only" when it was available are also not eligible for the 2nd Generation software. 

If you would like to upgrade to the new controller contact me and we can work something out.

EDIT: I have no plans to ever upgrade the hardware in a manner it affects the firmware but if that was to happen again updates would no longer be available for the current controller. This major upgrade had to happen in order to improve Robo-Tank.
Reply to top
no problem, I'm happy with the way my 1st GEN controller without expansion hub is running.
it does the job it is supposed to do :D
Reply to top
Good to hear. For sure some people don't need all the features, I'm one of them. :) That's why I made the light version, kinda like what you have. :)
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

I think it might save some clicking and mailing if you make a picture explaining which hardware version/generation is which. =)

Edit: Could preferably be posted under "Robo-Tank Version History". Should make things clearer..
Reply to top
Hi Dorrpost, I'll have to do that, the most obvious way to tell is the ports, if you have USB ports that's the Gen1 controller, the 4 pin pluggable screw terminals are on the 2nd gen controller.
Reply to top
(02-03-2017, 02:54 AM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Dorrpost, I'll have to do that, the most obvious way to tell is the ports, if you have USB ports that's the Gen1 controller, the 4 pin pluggable screw terminals are on the 2nd gen controller.

Yep, I know since I've been following. But otherwise I wouldn't have any idea..
Reply to top
For sure, thanks for pointing it out, I don't think I would have ever done that.

Here's some pictures, I'll also put them under the version history, that's a good place.

[Image: Gen1.jpg]

[Image: Gen2.jpg]
Reply to top
cool now that is what was needed a picture is worth a 1,000 words thanks dorrpost for a great idea
Reply to top
K05108

K05108
Reply to top
Sorry for offtopic but :D

Dorrpost tuon lipun mukaan näytät olevan Ahvenanmaalta. Ei tullut mieleenkään, että tällä olisi muita suomea puhuvia :P

(According that country flag, you seem to live in aland islands. I don't even thought that this forum / site has anyone else who speaks finnish than me. Small world) :P
Reply to top
There's actually a few people who speak Finnish on here. Once the controller is closer to being finished I want to make a bunch of language packs, maybe one will be Finnish.
Reply to top
hay rob I hear the controller is getting closer?
Reply to top
Yup, getting there, I'll be shipping yours shortly. I'm happy to say I got the auto-range graphs working, now when a graph loads it finds the min/max value and draws the graph based on that so it'll work for any range of data. You can also zoom out so you can see a better data curve on the graph throughout the day.
Reply to top
(02-06-2017, 10:30 PM)Rob F Wrote: Yup, getting there, I'll be shipping yours shortly. I'm happy to say I got the auto-range graphs working, now when a graph loads it finds the min/max value and draws the graph based on that so it'll work for any range of data. You can also zoom out so you can see a better data curve on the graph throughout the day.

Can you say any ETA when update is comming ? :) I wanted to start adding power meter data to graphs :)

(02-06-2017, 08:59 PM)Rob F Wrote: There's actually a few people who speak Finnish on here. Once the controller is closer to being finished I want to make a bunch of language packs, maybe one will be Finnish.

If you do language pack, you have to make every language new images / image set. Or are you planning to move all texts inside code?  and if you do all languages new images, there is problem that some words in Finnish is just bigger (longer) than english, so they might not fit placeses where english text goes. And then you have to modified each language / images x cordinates etc... And there is limited space like you know :) Then you might have to decrease font, but this is not good solution :D

And personally i can say that i don't need Finnish language pack (i cannot say that nobody does, but "most" of Finnish people use computers etc in English anyway so :D And now i mean people who are good in computers. And this point i don't think anyone who aren't good with computers buys and get robo-tank (because programming / upload sketch part). Or maybe this is something you are trying to change. And try to make RoboTank easily approachable and then language packs is good thing :)

I don't anything mean that what i say above. Just thinking out of loud :)
Reply to top
I was hoping to have the graphs done but got busy with work. I should be able to finish them up the next couple days. I think I have it all working so just need to get all the views back in place etc... Still a lot but should be able to get though it quick now, the math was the tough part.

You're bang on for the language packs, you know how much work it will be, that's why it'll be something when all the screens are sorted out otherwise I would just be updating the languages. :) Worse thing is I barely know English so I hope those translators work good lol... I have no idea which ones I'll add, probably start with German as I have lots of customers and interest from there, not sure after that. Nice to know Finnish people use English, everyone I've talked to from there had good English, I know you're ok. :)
Reply to top
(02-07-2017, 02:13 AM)Rob F Wrote: I was hoping to have the graphs done but got busy with work. I should be able to finish them up the next couple days. I think I have it all working so just need to get all the views back in place etc... Still a lot but should be able to get though it quick now, the math was the tough part.

You're bang on for the language packs, you know how much work it will be, that's why it'll be something when all the screens are sorted out otherwise I would just be updating the languages. :)  Worse thing is I barely know English so I hope those translators work good lol... I have no idea which ones I'll add, probably start with German as I have lots of customers and interest from there, not sure after that. Nice to know Finnish people use English, everyone I've talked to from there had good English, I know you're ok. :)

If you want to translate properly use "community" help. List all text and lines one simple file or list and then all who want can help you translate them in own language. Then you can use those words, and no need to translators :)
Reply to top
I was going to post something on the forum, I like the idea of having all the text in a list with the translation beside it. I'll probably convert more text to images later, it looks better and easier to handle languages, if you want to change just switch images. There will probably be a screen with a list of languages, all the files for that language will be in its own directory and when you change languages only the file location in the code has to change which is easy using a variable, all files for each language would have the same file names.
Reply to top
(02-07-2017, 02:27 AM)Rob F Wrote: I was going to post something on the forum, I like the idea of having all the text in a list with the translation beside it. I'll probably convert more text to images later, it looks better and easier to handle languages, if you want to change just switch images. There will probably be a screen with a list of languages, all the files for that language will be in its own directory and when you change languages only the file location in the code has to change which is easy using a variable, all files for each language would have the same file names.

Yep using them that way is easy. Also language "id" can be saved in EEPROM. I use this method power meter, to switch € or $ sign in prices :)

Sounds good. Robo-Tank is definitely going better and better "every day" :) Also i like simplicity of code, now it is easy to modified and add new features and classes. Old code (gen1) is much harder to find right places etc.
Reply to top
1000's of eeproms locations available. :) Yeah its starting to come together, code is much better with graphs and still lots of space available. When you add more you shouldn't have to do anything to have it draw, just add a few lines of code here and there, pick a new color and make a label or two.
Reply to top
(02-07-2017, 02:48 AM)Rob F Wrote: 1000's of eeproms locations available. :)  Yeah its starting to come together, code is much better with graphs and still lots of space available. When you add more you shouldn't have to do anything to have it draw, just add a few lines of code here and there, pick a new color and make a label or two.

Sounds good. That is the reason i wanted to wait when you get graphs ready. I am not yet add code to write daily, and outlet separate data to sd card. Because i want to use same format which you use in temps, ph, etc... So it is easy to add. Also i going to use same "timeframe" to save data to sd card. Are you still using 8,5 min betweeen values to write sd card ?

Also i started to add feature which "write" temps, ph and later power meter values to external (my server) Mysql database. So i can easily make website which show nice graphs also. And you can easily get there years worth of data :) Also when data is Mysql database they can easily add to excel or something if want :)

I don't know if there is ever any need of this. Because Robo-Tank has good graphs build-in :) But i still doing it. Atleast i learn it. Couple of months ago when i order robo-tank i never even touched arduino before. So this whole project is good to learning new things :D
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running Pre-Updates Rob F 9 8,721 11-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Rob F