Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting float
hi guys,

I hope someone can help me. I have rodi water tank and 2 float switches one for low and one for full. connected to the tank is an ato system. To fill the main display i used robotank( the old one) to switch a water relais that was connected to the rodi filters. So i automated the filling of the rodi tank. The old equipmemt i replaced with the reef pi vers a. Now what i try in ato or macro, i cant get the floats to switch the relais. In equipement the relais switches fine on hand. Has anyone have same setup ? The float dipswitches both are on other.

Regards edwin

@Rob i mailed u with this question but posted it here for the community i stil am stumped
Reply to top
Hi Edwin, I think I had a translation issue, sounds like the floats don't work at all?

I recently realized the PU and PD labels on faceplate are backwards, PU is actually PD and vice versa. Having this jumper set wrong won't hurt anything but will stop it from working.

Try changing that jumper and see if it works. Having the other jumper to "other" is good.

Float should be connected to +5v and Data pin on sensor port.

If neither work, go to configuration then connectors and edit the sensor port connector, click the reverse option so it's enabled, save and 'reload' reef-pi.
Reply to top
Hi Rob

So i got the sensor to work finally K0507 
BUT i need 2 sensors to switch 1 dc port so low float dc port on and high float dc port off.
i tried in ato but that does not work i get flip flop effect with 1 sec interval.
i tried with macro but the macro halts when set a wait time and the second float does not shut it off.
So it seems i can only work with time. instead off turning on at low point and turning off at high point.
somehow reef pi does not like to let 2 inlets controle one dc port.

any suggestions ?

Edwin
Reply to top
All right, one step closer.

Controlling one port with two sensors is difficult and there's a bug stopping the system from running a macro from a sensor. It seems to go in a never ending loop until it restarted.

This is why the port will turn on/off quickly.

The code checks each port one by one. Let's think about yours.

Typically the low float will be sensing water, it's job is to turn on pump when it doesn't sense water and when it is sensing water it's turning off that pump. That's the problem in reef-pi, it's trying to do one or the other when you only want it to turn on, never off.

The high float is trying to turn pump off when it senses water but in most cases it won't be sensing water so it will do the opposite and turn pump on.

Now when sensors are read 2nd will turn pump on as it should and immediately following sensor 2 will turn the pump back off as it should. So this creates the flip flop effect.

I'm trying some things now, will let you know soon what I find.
Reply to top
You can discard what I said previously. :)

I've been playing and got it figured out, I was misunderstanding how the macro ran. 

Here's an example of a low level sensor starting a pump and a high level sensor stopping the pump.

This is how the jumpers should be set, sensor 1 is the low level float. Notice I have one float on GND and other float on +5v and the P-U / P-D jumper is opposite. I did it that way so connectors in reef-pi don't need to be "reversed". If both were wired like sensor 2, sensor 1 connector would need to be "reversed". For float switches the P-U / P-D jumper should always be opposite of 2nd wire on float. If a wire from float goes to GND jumper must be set to P-U, if the float wire goes to +5v then jumper needs to be P-D. 

[Image: controller.jpg]

Based on the floats connected like above this is how connectors should look. (RevB has a 6th sensor port).

[Image: sensor_connectors.jpg]

Now setup two macros like image below. The "Start Fill" is the low level float and "Stop Fill" is high level.

Once both are added you can press "Run" button for "Start Fill" and the pump should turn on. I have DC 1 set for equipment but anything on that tab will be available.

Then press run for "Stop Fill" and it should turn off. 

When this is working you can move on.

[Image: reservior_fill_macros.jpg]

Now add the two sensors to ATO tab. I have them both disabled so I could get both on single image so do keep them both enabled (on).

Now the low float will start the pump and top float will turn it off. Note both floats always need to be in the position they would be otherwise it will flip flop. During testing this can throw you off. If you are testing out of water make sure you keep adjusting both floats in order they would be in reality. 

[Image: reservior_fill_sensors.jpg]

Here's some images of the floats. the lower one is low level and other high level. Of course space between floats is unlimited, this is just what I was using.

This image represents a full tank of water, both floats would be up and pump (light in image) would be off. At this point if you went to equipment tab and turned on the pump manually it would flip flop once because the high level sensor is still running the macro which is turning off the pump.

[Image: sensors1.jpg]

This image would be a partially filled tank, bottom float is still high but top dropped. Pump remains off. Now at this point if you went to equipment tab and turned on that pump it would turn on and stay on until the high level float went back up. This can be useful to manually start a refill at any time.

[Image: sensors2.jpg]

This picture is when the tank gets empty, both floats are down and the pump will turn on. This time if you manually tried to turn off the pump at this point it would immediately come back on because low level float is forcing it on. If you manually moved the high level float up while low level is down it would flip flop as well but in reality this should never happen.

[Image: sensors3.jpg]

This image is during the fill but tank not full yet, low float is up and high float is still down. Once water raises high level the pump will stop and it can go back to the down position when water is used.

[Image: sensors4.jpg]

And this the end of the cycle and tank is full again. Pump is off and waiting for both floats to drop to start the pump.

[Image: sensors5.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • zee_zout
Reply to top
I think i got it, if one doesnt know the above, just from reading a manual, there are so many combination and settings i would have never figured it out.

Thanks Rob very nice illustrated :-)
Reply to top
No problem, it is confusing, I need to make a manual just for macros with examples like above.
Reply to top
I need help with my issue:
1: I need to drain the water until the swimmer reaches a low level then the pump switches off
2: Disconnect the sockets x x x
3: wait a few seconds
4: filling the tank with water as described above
5: socket x x x switched on

My problem is that after draining, immediately fill with water or after reaching a high level, the pump for draining is still running.
Reply to top
(01-31-2021, 08:52 AM)loksik.lubos Wrote: I need help with my issue:
1: I need to drain the water until the swimmer reaches a low level then the pump switches off
2: Disconnect the sockets x x x
3: wait a few seconds
4: filling the tank with water as described above
5: socket x x x switched on

My problem is that after draining, immediately fill with water or after reaching a high level, the pump for draining is still running.

The above should do what you need, just add a few extra steps to turn off those sockets. Make sure you have the sensor port jumpers set correctly, can you post pics of those and your macros?
Reply to top
I figured it out a bit but it makes me a problem:
when I turn on the drain pump, the pump turns on the fill for a second then when he switches off the pump, he switches on my water filling for a second, then he waits 10 seconds and starts filling.
It's set up correctly where I could fix something.

Furthermore, I would still need advice on how to set a swimmer + optical sensor alarm very high water.
When it turns on the  optically senzor stops the water change process triggers an alarm sends an email.
When the water exceeds the optical sensor, it reaches the level of the float 3 starts to drain the water until it is not at the level of the float2

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Sorry I'm not sure what's going wrong. I think you might have problem with sub macros, the water change turns on DC port 7 and then immediately after the Stop pumpe macro turns it off. It's a good idea to write a very basic macro to get the sensor and equipment working together than try and bring it all together. Also remember the "reverse" setting on the connectors page for the sensors and ports. If you change that always go to admin subtab and press reload button so reef-pi updates, anything you change on configuration tab requires a reload button press after.
Reply to top
(02-01-2021, 05:46 PM)Rob F Wrote: Sorry I'm not sure what's going wrong. I think you might have problem with sub macros, the water change turns on DC port 7 and then immediately after the Stop pumpe macro turns it off. It's a good idea to write a very basic macro to get the sensor and equipment working together than try and bring it all together. Also remember the "reverse" setting on the connectors page for the sensors and ports. If you change that always go to admin subtab and press reload button so reef-pi updates, anything you change on configuration tab requires a reload button press after.
Can someone help me how to set a high level, I can't create it as I wrote
Reply to top
(02-04-2021, 04:13 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: Can someone help me how to set a high level, I can't create it as I wrote

Are you able to duplicate the example I posted above and get it working? What sensors are you using and how are the jumpers set on ports, it's important those are set correctly.
Reply to top
bezkontaktné relé je nastavené na iné / PU ako snímač 3 ďalšie Nastavil som ako ste spomenuli vyššie. Prikladám náčrt, keď sa dotknem snímača 3 vypne plnenie a po niekoľkých sekundách začne odpúšťať Jediným problémom je, že Nechcem vypínať port dc 7.
Reply to top
(02-05-2021, 04:25 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: bezkontaktné relé je nastavené na iné / PU ako snímač 3 ďalšie Nastavil som ako ste spomenuli vyššie. Prikladám náčrt, keď sa dotknem snímača 3 vypne plnenie a po niekoľkých sekundách začne odpúšťať Jediným problémom je, že Nechcem vypínať port dc 7.

Sounds like the sensor is set correctly, I see in the macros you tell it to turn off DC port 7 so that's why it's turning off, if you remove that it should stay on. Sorry it's really hard to know what you're trying to accomplish, it's best to start with really simple controls and build them out. Get a basic macro turning on/off a port so you know you have sensors setup correctly and can then work out the kinks.
Reply to top
Robo, tak sa mi to nakoniec podarilo vyriešiť, len neviem, prečo nechce vytvárať funkciu oneskorenia. 10 sekúnd okamžite zapne druhé čerpadlo. Pri zasielaní emailov je možné poslať iba 1x info o odosielaní, vždy mi príde 5x ten istý email.

tu je môj náčrt senzorov
Reply to top
The macros continually run which is probably why you get many emails, try using the one-shot feature, that will only let the macro run once.
Reply to top
Potrebujem pridať 3 bezkontaktné snímače pre zmiešanú nádrž:
senzor1: zapne ventil1
senzor2: vypne ventil1, zapne ventil2
senzor3: vypne ventil 2

Senzory 1 a 2 fungujú Nemôžem si pomôcť, ako napríklad senzor2 pre ventil 1a 2. Alebo musím pridať ďalší senzor

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
(03-07-2021, 04:14 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: Potrebujem pridať 3 bezkontaktné snímače pre zmiešanú nádrž:
senzor1: zapne ventil1
senzor2: vypne ventil1, zapne ventil2
senzor3: vypne ventil 2

Senzory 1 a 2 fungujú Nemôžem si pomôcť, ako napríklad senzor2 pre ventil 1a 2. Alebo musím pridať ďalší senzor

You can achieve this with 3 sensors using macros however you'll need to play with macros till you get it sorted. I believe if you call a macro from ATO sensor you need to write the macro in reverse. With 4 sensors you wouldn't need macros but macros will definitely get it done with 3.
Reply to top
can you give me an example of what you mean the other way around
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with Setting Up Telemetry BlakeD 1 989 05-27-2023, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Rob F