Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Robo-Tank v6.0 is Ready - Now v6.5
Got it Rob! Super easy update process btw. I’ll play around with it the next couple of days and let you know if I run into any issues. I’m also keeping a small list of wants/issues as I tinker. So far I’ve been able to do more with robotankv6 then I was able to do with reefpi. For instance today I was able to get a physical micro switch to trigger my solenoids and pump on.

Tomorrow it’s going to be integrating all of my high/low sensors with the switches and solenoids. My setup I plug a 5gallon bucket into a port to fill up her a RO chamber, saltwater chamber, or empty a wastewater chamber. An example of the logic: ***alert email when low saltwater sensor is triggered*** Fill Saltwater button pressed manually> saltwater container High sensor doesn’t detect water> turn on fill/ external solenoid (immediately) > turn on wastewater valve (immediately ) > turn on peristaltic pump to pull water in (5 seconds) > turn off wastewater valve (15s) > turn on saltwater valve..

Then a separate rule will shut off everything once high water, or the chamber filled, is detected. We’ll see how that rule impacts when I want the system to do an AWC. I’m worried it may override another rule hen I want to open the saltwater valve. If it does, maybe in a future update rules could trigger schedules and schedules could trigger rules. Example: rule one runs…it hits a schedule (or something) that activates use 2, once rule 2 runs it hits a schedule that turns off rule 2. Idk if any of that made sense lol.

Other things in debugging I’ve noticed is I’m having to restart the controller after every rule update.
When I do that, I have a schedule set so all my AC stuff is supposed to be on 24/7. If I have a rule built like “feed mode”..push a button to turn off pumps…after a restart all of the AC items will restart as well, and/or the items that I wanted in “feed mode” will be off like the rule ran on restart (it shouldn’t have).

I have that happen almost every time. Not a big deal for me atm but I could see where a random pump could turn on cause it’s in a “rule” and cause issues.

Phew sorry for the novel…I think that’s it for now!

Correction, let me test tomorrow if I actually need to restart. After I posted I started to have doubts lol. The power on thing though after a restart is happening. I’ll get some screenshots tomorrow as well.
Reply to top
Wonderful and thanks for the feedback and helping test. The update link should disappear soon. Please do let me know any features you think of and issues, especially anything that makes you question what you're doing, I want to try and eliminate any questions one might have while navigating things.

I just added a couple rules to see if it needed a restart and and the off rule isn't turning off the outlet, nooooo.... May have just broke them with update adding the extra sensor type, I'll have to look at it tomorrow, sorry. As soon as it's fixed you'll see an update link, you shouldn't have given me that ID lol.

For now you can't use momentary switches if you were planning, I do plan to add an option to the rules for those.

It is ok to use a single "on" schedule to keep outlets on 24/7, as you've discovered when controller restarts all outlets go off and then get set based on rules and schedules. Another method for this, maybe a little cleaner, delete the schedule and manually turn the outlets on that you want 24/7. Any outlets with a red dot will stay in that state no matter what a custom rule or schedule says so it's safer too.

The rules do need to run at startup, I think like this. Example, Sensor 1 float switch controls a pump, if float is touching water pump should be off, if float isn't touching water pump should be on, like an ATO. When controller starts and that float isn't touching water the pump should run as that's what would be happening at that time if controller wasn't restarted. Maybe you get this and it's an issue, could be related to the problem I just came across too.

Later there will be a nice system for feed modes and maintenance so setting up that will be easier later with more related options.
Reply to top
Hello, i installed the new software last night. it took a while. i had the same issue with Apache - i installed phpmyadmin manually and then reinstalled version 6 and it worked - all after i updated the pi operating system.

one issue i am having is my ph probe is not showing up. i think i accidently missed a step when initially setting up the software. it found the probe, but i think i quickly missed a screen to set it up. how do i fix that?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sjlesq99's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
Hi, thanks for trying it out, was your card freshly formatted before you started? Apache seems to have trouble if operating system isn't update to date however the install script should have done that first. It also seems if reef-pi is installed it'll have issues, probably other things too so I'm starting to think a fresh formatted card is best.

During the initial setup wizard did it prompt about an I2C device? That's all there is to setting it up, it then asks for a name and it's finished. Any change when it prompted you click on the pca9685 instead?

If you can log into the database based on the 2nd post in this thread and go to the "i2cDevices" table do you see some?

Now that it's running you should be able to run the install script again, it'll roll through the install and should reset the database so you can go through the initial setup wizard, at this time in the UI you can't access I2C devices.
Reply to top
(10-13-2021, 09:00 PM)albinochicken89 Wrote: Correction, let me test tomorrow if I actually need to restart. After I posted I started to have doubts lol. The power on thing though after a restart is happening. I’ll get some screenshots tomorrow as well.

Just letting you know there is a problem with the custom rules, more than just needing to restart the controller so you were right on and it was from the get go. Seems I didn't actually test adding them how a user would and data was wrong in the database. I think its sorted out now but want to do more testing.
Reply to top
That makes me feel better that it wasn't just in my head! Thank you for being on top of it and tanking care of it. One thing I've noticed so far today is that if I go tot edit a PIN (via advanced tab) the I hit save it doesn't do anything.
Reply to top
Hello

I installed your new program on rasberry pi zerow. It looks great.
But I have a problem with the heater. The heater switches on at the set temperature (24.8 C) but when it reaches the temperature (25.2 C)
do not turn off.
Do you have any idea why this is happening.

Greetings
Bostjan
[-] The following 1 user Likes bosti71's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(10-14-2021, 10:37 AM)Rob F Wrote: Hi, thanks for trying it out, was your card freshly formatted before you started? Apache seems to have trouble if operating system isn't update to date however the install script should have done that first. It also seems if reef-pi is installed it'll have issues, probably other things too so I'm starting to think a fresh formatted card is best.

During the initial setup wizard did it prompt about an I2C device? That's all there is to setting it up, it then asks for a name and it's finished. Any change when it prompted you click on the pca9685 instead?

If you can log into the database based on the 2nd post in this thread and go to the "i2cDevices" table do you see some?

Now that it's running you should be able to run the install script again, it'll roll through the install and should reset the database so you can go through the initial setup wizard, at this time in the UI you can't access I2C devices.

I am still having issues with my ph probe. it shows in the database but not any where else. I tried reinstalling the software twice. ph probe working now
Reply to top
(10-14-2021, 12:44 PM)albinochicken89 Wrote: That makes me feel better that it wasn't just in my head! Thank you for being on top of it and tanking care of it. One thing I've noticed so far today is that if I go tot edit a PIN (via advanced tab) the I hit save it doesn't do anything.

Thanks for letting me know, when I added all the features I checked the edit save but then on the normal view I added an check to make sure user can't save pin details if there's no name and that broke the advance tab, it's fixed. 

(10-14-2021, 12:55 PM)bosti71 Wrote: Hello

I installed your new program on rasberry pi zerow. It looks great.
But I have a problem with the heater. The heater switches on at the set temperature (24.8 C) but when it reaches the temperature (25.2 C)
do not turn off.
Do you have any idea why this is happening.

Greetings
Bostjan

Hi Bostjan, unfortunately I messed up with the custom rules when turning off something that's why it's not working. I'm going to post an update later tonight so you'll see a link by clock when it's ready or you can go to system settings and check for an update.

You will need to delete the custom rules and add back.

(10-14-2021, 02:33 PM)sjlesq99 Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 10:37 AM)Rob F Wrote: Hi, thanks for trying it out, was your card freshly formatted before you started? Apache seems to have trouble if operating system isn't update to date however the install script should have done that first. It also seems if reef-pi is installed it'll have issues, probably other things too so I'm starting to think a fresh formatted card is best.

I am still having issues with my ph probe.  it shows in the database but not any where else.  I tried reinstalling the software twice.

As it's in the i2cDevices table do you also see it in the "probes" table? If it is in the probes table verify the "plugged" field is set to 1. If it's 0 it won't show.

If it's not in the "probes" table go back to the i2cDevices table and verify "enabled" = 1, "running" = 1 and then set "new" to 1. As soon as you do that the popup will appear in the user interface asking what the i2c device is.
Reply to top
so i am guessing that the rules are not working yet? i was trying to get my ato working.
Reply to top
An update is coming within an hour, I have them working now. The controller checks once an hour but if you disable the auto update you can press check for update button.
Reply to top
Just posted the update, everyone should see it.

A little embarrassed those off custom rules didn't work, I did so much testing but it was all with rules in the system already and when I finally got the data to the backend and saved I never actually checked if they worked after creating new ones. I was shocked when I added them and they didn't work.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Forgot to mentioned it'll be best to delete the custom rules and add back.
Reply to top
No worries, it’s freshly launched software that in the wild will behave in ways you can’t anticipate. I appreciate you being proactive and supporting it.
Reply to top
Yeah exactly, I just can't believe those rules, it was clear I never actually tested after getting them saved. Thankfully it was nothing in how they run.
Reply to top
(10-14-2021, 08:07 PM)Rob F Wrote: Yeah exactly, I just can't believe those rules, it was clear I never actually tested after getting them saved. Thankfully it was nothing in how they run.
No worries.  You have done an incredible job getting this done.  I tried upgrading by hitting the link on the dashboard and now, after I sign in, the dashboard is just a black screen.
Reply to top
Hmm, could you open the Pi terminal window and type in the following 3 commands.

sudo systemctl stop robotank.service

cd /var/www/html/cpp

./startup

If it is says "permission denied" on the last command and the program doesn't start type in the following command.

./robotank

That should start the program and hopefully dashboard loads.
Reply to top
(10-15-2021, 01:56 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hmm, could you open the Pi terminal window and type in the following 3 commands.

sudo systemctl stop robotank.service

cd /var/www/html/cpp

./startup

If it is says "permission denied" on the last command and the program doesn't start type in the following command.

./robotank

That should start the program and hopefully dashboard loads.

this worked!!!
Reply to top
Cool. I added the startup file to the update so it overwrite it and didn't get proper permissions, next update should go smooth.

Run this command as well just to make sure it's set correctly.

sudo chmod 755 /var/www/html/cpp/startup

Let me know how the rules goes.
Reply to top
Hi:
I've been trying to get up and running on a brand new SD card this morning, but having some issues. 
First: my OS is:
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster

I originally attempted the install via the command in the .docx file on docs.google.com, namely:
sudo wget -c https://www.robo-tank.ca/app/releases/Robo-Tank_v6_0.zip &> /dev/null && sudo unzip -o Robo-Tank_v6_0.zip -d /boot/ &> /dev/null && sudo bash /boot/robotank/install_robotank.sh

but that failed with errors for apache and php.  I noticed that the install command had been revised in the second post on this thread to be:

sudo wget -c https://www.robo-tank.ca/app/releases/Robo-Tank_v6_1.zip &> /dev/null && sudo unzip -o Robo-Tank_v6_0.zip -d /boot/ &> /dev/null && sudo bash /boot/robotank/install_robotank.sh

So I gave that a try.  Still no joy with errors seemingly related to php, i.e.

Updating Raspberry Pi Operating System    ...takes 1-20 minutes
Installing i2c-tools                      ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing Apache2                        ...takes about 1 minute
Installing PHP                            ...takes about 1 minute
Installing MySQL                          ...takes about 2 minute
Installing PHPMyAdmin                    ...takes about 2 minute
sed: can't read /usr/share/phpmyadmin/libraries/plugin_interface.lib.php: No such file or directory
Installing Robo-Tank                      ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing Robo-Tank Database            ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing JSON Library                  ...takes less than 1 minute
cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini': No such file or directory
Installing MySQL Library                  ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing wiringPi Library              ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing libwebsockets Library          ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing JsonCpp Library                ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing libcurl Library                ...takes less than 1 minute
Installing libquickmail Library          ...takes about 1 minute
Updating Raspberry Pi Operating System    ...takes 1-15 minutes
Installing Robo-Tank Service on Pi        ...takes less than 1 minute
Clean up Robo-Tank Installation Files    ...takes less than 1 minute

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Phil
Reply to top
Hi Phil, it seems apache is rather picking when being installed, I haven't looked into this yet but it seems to be OS related, maybe a dependency is missing or something. If you run the following command could you paste the results? This is what installs it but doesn't suppress the output so some error may be printed that'll help me look into it.

sudo apt install apache2 -y

To get running try installing the Raspbian using the Pi Imager, this manual shows the steps. It will reformat the card, just need to install the Pi imager and select the OS. Then run the Robo-Tank install command with v6.1 like your second attempt. Oops, just noticed I didn't fully edit that line. The unzip portion I didn't change to v6_1.

sudo wget -c https://www.robo-tank.ca/app/releases/Robo-Tank_v6_1.zip &> /dev/null && sudo unzip -o Robo-Tank_v6_1.zip -d /boot/ &> /dev/null && sudo bash /boot/robotank/install_robotank.sh

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fED4...N7COY/edit#

Also note you'll likely have a problem with light modes but the rest should be ok. I'll have that fixed soon and it'll be easy to update.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v6.6 is Ready Rob F 75 20,783 03-09-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Enigma79
  Reef-pi Hardware Now Available Rob F 20 13,368 06-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Rob F