Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Robo-Tank v6.0 is Ready - Now v6.5
I've attached a screenshot of my lighting program, and a second screenshot of the light program status block.  If expanded, the first two modes have the slider at 100%, and the last has it at zero %, my idea being that the lights ramp up from 2:00 to 3:00, stay on high until 11:00, and then ramp down to zero at midnight. 

When I came home today around 18:00, the lights were not on, and the status indicator was as shown.  If I'm reading that properly, it is, in effect saying that it is currently in the ramp down mode (when it should be in Full Intensity), and, even stranger, that the Ramp Down mode (that it thinks it is already in) will (correctly) start in 4+ hours.

When I clicked open the 'Full Intensity' mode, the lights immediately came on!

Any thoughts about what's going on?  Is my lighting program not correct?  (Note that I put in the 1-minute offsets between modes because I had observed this same confusion yesterday when I had the switchover on/off times to be the same.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
It sounds like you don't need the 2nd mode but it should have still worked. The lights should have been on like when you expanded the mode. When the lights get to the levels of 1st mode at 15:00 they should stay at that level until mode 3 starts at 23:01. Something is causing the fade not to start. I think you'll have to hang tight on light modes until I make some changes. Now that you've expanded and collapsed the mode did the lights stay on?

I was just about to post some pics, does this make any more sense?

When creating a mode it asks for a name and days it'll be used.

[Image: lights2.PNG]

Then it shows this screen which has all ports assigned with the function "Light". I have 5 ports enabled and assigned as such.

[Image: lights3.PNG]

Then you click the ports you want to use for this mode and it expands for details.

Like this not all channels need to be on a mode and each channel has it's own start/stop time.

I added a start / end fade level instead of carrying levels over from previous mode.

[Image: lights4.PNG]
Reply to top
After I unexpanded the mode window, the lights went out.

I like you new screens. If you could put the %Intensity next to the time, it would be cleaner.
Reply to top
as i'm totally new to robo-tank, I don't know if screenshot shown in the first post is something we can put on a display on robo-tank (can we connect a touch display?), but if Yes, I would love to see a "lock" feature, to keep display in readonly, just to see current reading or changes pages but without any possibility to change settings, power on/off devices and so on. Just a read only mode.

Then when someone wants a read-write access, it could press the "lock" icon , enter a pin code (or a password or whatever) and only then it can do read-write operations.

Auto-lock timeout (in example 30 secs) could be added as a feature, if no actions are taken in this 30 seconds, display goes in read-only mode automatically.

Why i'm asking this ? Because i'm planning to put a display on the tank enclosure to have an overview always available, but I have baby childs that likes to presso buttons :-) and i don't think that pressing the "power off return pump" would be a great idea.
Reply to top
Yeah the idea is this will work on a touch screen although I haven't tried it. It's optimized for 1366 x 768 pixels but fits any size screen. A lock feature is on the list, you can see a padlock icon under the date, that's what it's for. It would work as you described and the icon would be green when locked.

Don't buy the controller based on this program though, I recommend you still use reef-pi, it's not ready for prime time yet, see this is a possible bonus.
Reply to top
Hey Rob,
So good news, everything is working great so far. By chance do you have a roadmap on features you hope to incorporate in the future?
Reply to top
Great, any chance you tried the light modes? If not don't bother, just curious.

Only a roadmap in my head, I will make a thread soon with them listed and you and others can help add to and sort it. After I get the light modes done I'm going to spend a week or so doing some polishing on what's there and clean up adding custom rules interface. Then I need to get logs so there's a record saying outlet 3 turned on, light mode started, custom rule ran, things like that. Then I was thinking of getting into subsystems like heaters, ATO, feeding, maintenance, etc.
Reply to top
I made a change on the 2nd step to create a light mode. I put two columns for the ports, when you create a new mode all ports available will be in the left column, when you click one it moves to the right column where you enter the details. If you click the header in Ports Used it'll move back to Ports Available column.

[Image: lights5.PNG]
Reply to top
This new setup looks good to me! I'd like to give it a try this weekend if its ready.

Concerning the roadmap, I've been thinking a cool feature would be a 'simulation' mode where your run the timer at 60 times the normal rate turning hours into minutes so that an entire day would run in 24 minutes. (Most dishwashers have a mode like that for test and debug purposes).

I don't know where it fits on your priorities, but Macros are important to me--A single button to command things like Lights on 30 Min, Pumps off 5 min, etc.

-Phil
Reply to top
Unfortunately I don't think I'll have it ready for the weekend, the new controller boards should be arriving tomorrow so I needed to update website, manuals etc, not really looking forward to it.

For light modes I do plan to add a simulation button, will probably have it done with above changes. In the past I had it run through all the modes in a minute or so as a quick method to verify they ramp up down accordingly. That was a little fast though, I like your idea but that almost seems a little long but does make sense.

I think you're referring to shortcuts to trigger a custom rule? Those will be coming and fairly high on the list, same with ability to run a rule from a schedule. I really do need to make a list so things can be prioritized. Custom rules should work now but yeah only with sensors.
Reply to top
I've been having a problem that *might* have started at the EDT->EST transition. I now have 2 light profiles: one that ramps up to 100% starting at 14:00 and ending at 15:00, and a second that ramps down to 0% starting at 23:00 and ending at 23:59. This had been working fine but now it is not.
The problem is that the lights do not come on in the afternoon. BUT if at, for example, at 16:00 I realize the lights are not on, and I restart the controller (Settings->System->Restart Controller), it restarts with the lights at 100%, and they dim and go off on schedule. This is consistent and happens every day.

Any thoughts about how I can debug or fix this?

-Phil
Reply to top
Sorry off hand I'm not sure what's causing that, the time change shouldn't have had anything to do with it. Strange that it worked for a while and quit. I am getting close to having redone the light modes, this coming week it should be ready for sure.
Reply to top
It's now 16:00, the lights are not on and I'm about to restart. Restart complete, and the lights are on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pwest's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
I'm trying to install Robo-Tank V6 on a new SD Card. I've followed your guide but I couldn't make it work.
After the install progress I cannot access to the web UI. 
Here I send a couple of screen:
[Image: Putty1.jpg]

[Image: Putty-2.jpg]

Everything seems to be just fine but I cannot access the UI... What can I do?
Thank you very much!
Simone
Reply to top
Hey Simone, it looks like it had a problem installing Apache, I've seen this a couple times now, not sure exactly why but it seems to be how the OS was installed. Can you try using the Pi Imager program, it'll format the card during the process. Here's a link showing how to do it. Once you get the terminal window open run the install script for v6, this time you shouldn't see those errors.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9ma...=h.30j0zll
Reply to top
Hi Rob, even using the Pi imager I have the same errors...Same thing as the image I've sent...

I've only skip the Wi-Fi configuration as I'm using Ethernet...
Reply to top
Skipping the wifi is ok, I don't use that either. I did a bit of a search and realized I was just using apt install instead of apt-get install, maybe that's the problem, still doesn't make sense though. Try running this command and watch if any errors show up. If it completes you should be ok to run the script again. Shouldn't need to reformat but if so run this command first then run the install script.

sudo apt-get install apache2 -y
Reply to top
(11-17-2021, 10:33 AM)Rob F Wrote: Skipping the wifi is ok, I don't use that either. I did a bit of a search and realized I was just using apt install instead of apt-get install, maybe that's the problem, still doesn't make sense though. Try running this command and watch if any errors show up. If it completes you should be ok to run the script again. Shouldn't need to reformat but if so run this command first then run the install script.

Thank you again Rob, using the command you've sent me I have tis result:

[Image: putty.jpg] 

I've then try to run again 

sudo wget -c https://www.robo-tank.ca/app/releases/Robo-Tank_v6_1.zip &> /dev/null && sudo unzip -o Robo-Tank_v6_1.zip -d /boot/ &> /dev/null && sudo bash /boot/robotank/install_robotank.sh

with the same 2 errors... It seems that the first error is PHPMyAdmin related, and the second is related to apache2... 
Reply to top
looks like you have made it along way with the new robo-tank scripts. you will be coding alot more stuff before you know it :)
Reply to top
Ok, looks like it was installed, try this command to uninstall it.

sudo apt remove apache2 -y

After that finishes try this command again to reinstall.

It should roll through the install, then try the install script as you have it above.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v6.6 is Ready Rob F 75 20,755 03-09-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Enigma79
  Reef-pi Hardware Now Available Rob F 20 13,353 06-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Rob F