Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.20 is Ready
Hey Rob, I know you mentioned the changeover from the old power bars to the new and how they switch outlets. Does the current version support the use of both types at the same time, or only one type of power bar?

In other words, I have both an old style power bar and a new energy monitoring power bar - with the V5.20 can I run both power bars, or will I need to select only one style to run at a time (example: all old style or all new style, but not an old style as PB1 and a new style as PB2)
Reply to top
Hi jlysaght3, in v5.20 you can run both types of power bars, there's a setting to select the type of power bar for each one. It sounds like your using an older version and going to update, if so maybe hold off for a couple weeks while I finish the update I'm working on. I added a couple issues in 5.2 and was able to fix a couple others.
Reply to top
hello will there ever be another update to robotank in the future as you stated on 10/13/2019? many of us would probably welcome it so that our devices do not jump in the back.
Reply to top
I reverted to 4.2 and been problem free for about half a year now
Reply to top
(05-30-2020, 01:03 PM)pavol14pavol Wrote: hello will there ever be another update to robotank in the future as you stated on 10/13/2019? many of us would probably welcome it so that our devices do not jump in the back.

Sorry Pavol there won't be another update, as fietsenrex mentioned v4.2 is quite stable, you should go to that if you have issues. I think I emailed you the files to revert back?

(05-30-2020, 02:13 PM)fietsenrex Wrote: I reverted to 4.2 and been problem free for about half a year now

Good to hear.
Reply to top
I bought my robotic tank from an acquaintance, but I am very disappointed that one gave a lot of dollars for a pile and its further development in about 2 years is completely over. I also wanted to buy a reff-pi, but as I see from more than 2 months ago, nothing is written about it as its development continues, so I will no longer consider buying it. I will have to look for something better. Rob, I'm sorry, a lot of people have paid at least $ 500 for your product, and the customer doesn't care that his product isn't constantly updated. V4.2 is stable, but I also don't see detailed diagrams of exactly what I need to connect, I have the latest version, so I have no idea how to connect 4 flow meters, 6 pumps and so on, because the old and new versions are completely different.

I'm trying your job but you should not forget about old friends who would also be very happy to welcome your support
Reply to top
I'm sorry about the trouble, I worked on it over 4 years and it was a sad day to park it but I had no choice, believe me if I didn't have to worry about money I would continue.

I am always here to help my customers as much as I can and feel terrible about the whole situation, I could have closed the forum and hid but no reason for that as this is life, unfortunately everything doesn't work out as intended. The wiring diagrams for v4.2 are the same as 5.x, the board version is what affects those. The software is different but should support all the ports on the controller. If you need something specific let me know.
Reply to top
Well pavol if the person who sold you the unit gave you the manual you should be able to figure out how to connect all the hardware
Reply to top
I appreciate Rob's work, but if he can program, I see no reason to cancel updates. And in the instructions that I have available, there is no exact description of the connection, e.g. should I connect port 5 to ground or + 5V to prevent damage to the board? V4.2 offers 4 flow meters but I will not connect them to gen3. therefore, each generation should have its own manual because the manual is very poorly described
rob showed REFF-pi, but for 2 months I have no information about him except for 2 videos which do not convince me about his purchase. He would welcome from him what his menu looks like, etc.
So I don't understand all of a sudden, it's just that angry people have paid a lot of money for something that no longer exists.
Reply to top
I’m not 100% sure but the manual was written for gen2 if I’m correct, but the gen3 boards work the same and have the same connections/lay-out except for the I2C buffers which gen3 has and gen2 don’t.
That’s why a whole bunch of people got problems with the I2C since v5.x because they didn’t have the hardware to support it.

Atleast that is what I understood from it.
Reply to top
(05-31-2020, 01:59 PM)pavol14pavol Wrote: I appreciate Rob's work, but if he can program, I see no reason to cancel updates. And in the instructions that I have available, there is no exact description of the connection, e.g. should I connect port 5 to ground or + 5V to prevent damage to the board? V4.2 offers 4 flow meters but I will not connect them to gen3. therefore, each generation should have its own manual because the manual is very poorly described
rob showed REFF-pi, but for 2 months I have no information about him except for 2 videos which do not convince me about his purchase. He would welcome from him what his menu looks like, etc.
So I don't understand all of a sudden, it's just that angry people have paid a lot of money for something that no longer exists.

If you go to v4.2 you'll have a controller that works great and more features than most on the market. I've sent you files and helped with images in the past and will send them again if you need.

Sorry I think if you still need a controller you should look at Apex or something, I'm a one person show and can't predict my future so it's best you go with a large established company.
Reply to top
(05-31-2020, 02:30 PM)fietsenrex Wrote: I’m not 100% sure but the manual was written for gen2 if I’m correct, but the gen3 boards work the same and have the same connections/lay-out except for the I2C buffers which gen3 has and gen2 don’t.
That’s why a whole bunch of people got problems with the I2C since v5.x because they didn’t have the hardware to support it.

Atleast that is what I understood from it.

The user manual is for v4.2, I never got one made for 5.x so it's actually easier to use 4.2.

The I2C problem wasn't a hardware issue, it was something in the code I could never truly sort out, it was baffling as it was ok in 4.2 and I used same libraries. Only thing I can think is it was a a speed issue, v5 ran way faster than 4.2 and maybe caused issues. The buffer helped but still didn't fix the problem. This was the final nail in the coffin. I thought about going back to 4.2 and cleaning it up but there was no momentum left and price was just too much, it is a lot of pressure selling a $500 controller.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v5.13 is Ready Rob F 61 35,394 06-19-2019, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Robo-Tank v5.12 is Ready Rob F 34 22,197 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: fietsenrex
  Robo-Tank v5.10 is Ready Rob F 157 82,142 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM
  Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready Rob F 206 133,082 04-03-2019, 09:18 AM