Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.12 is Ready
Hi, I have an update available, if you're running v5.x you should update to this. During this update I happened to notice a copy and paste error for the analog ports. The code for this was referring to ATO ID's for the sensors so only analog sensor 1 worked if the ATO was enabled in equipment connected, the other analog sensor ports didn't work.

There was a separate issue with the equipment connected screen. If you disabled all of a sensor type or the ATO the incoming data was messed up, this has been solved and the incoming sensor data has been optimized.

Some of you may have also noticed if you disabled a sensor the box on home page that scrolls different parameters was messed up. Now if you disable/enable a sensor on equipment connected page all the scrolling parameters will be wiped out as ID's don't match anymore. To make it a little more clear when no parameters are selected to scroll in that box text appears saying so and tells you to tab section to add parameters which will take you directly to the correct screen.

There are 3 new images so be sure to copy all the images from the update folder to your display card, overwrite any existing images. Then upload both sketches and update is finished.
Reply to top
Great Thanks :D
I’ll update tomorrow or sunday.

Is the issue I was having with the leds also resolved?
Reply to top
No problem and yeah good chance it fixes that LED issue.
Reply to top
You weren’t able to replicate my issue?
Reply to top
No, I've never experienced an issue with my lights and have tried but I've always run with everything enabled and disabling some sensors definitely caused issues.
Reply to top
Fair enough, I’ll let you know if my mean lean aquarium control machine has any trouble with all unused equipment/channels disabled ;)
Reply to top
lol, it's so lean with things disabled I had to add a 5th digit to to meter.
Reply to top
Haha nice so I’ll be pushing over 10.000 checks per second?
Ever thought about adding heatsinks and overclocking the crap out of it? :p
Reply to top
No lol... I only got over 10,000 with all sensors disabled and most equipment, unreal scenario. You'll be around what you were when you disabled before. I have seen tutorials for overclocking the Due but I wouldn't do it for reliability reasons. I'm impressed how reliable they are and wouldn't want to mess with them. Any controller going with a microcontroller won't be any faster, well maybe because of code optimization but I see a lot out there with 16mhz microcontroller where Due is 84mhz so no comparison. I assume controller based on a Pi would be faster but overall won't be as reliable in the long term. Nothing beats the microcontroller for automation because it only runs a simple small program in comparison.

When you think of it is there really a difference checking all systems every 0.5 milliseconds compared to every 0.1 millisecond for an aquarium, that's why 16mhz is enough for something like this. I went with the Due for the web but soon that will be on a Pi as it shouldn't be on the Arduino for something like this. That'll be a big day for many reasons.
Reply to top
did the update, and restored to defaults.
but in the system setting menu it says the version is still 5.00

only issue that remains for now (during set-up) is the light modes menu that sometimes freezes during setting up the lights.
but my guess is that once the I2C buffer is here and the PH and RTC are fitted to the buffer this will be solved

(04-12-2019, 06:25 PM)Rob F Wrote: No lol... I only got over 10,000 with all sensors disabled and most equipment, unreal scenario. You'll be around what you were when you disabled before.
26.218 checks per second...
only running port 9, 10, 11, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 4 LED channels

no DC, ATO or web enabled since it's not in use.

if I win the lotery I'm going to purchase a 128MB class 10 SD card just to see if it loads the images instantly :P

Don’t know what changed But the temperature has a full degree swing..
It jumps from 25 to 26 and back, in 4.2 and 5.10 this was only .3 degrees
Reply to top
Dimming appears to be working properly now
We’ll see if everything is up and running tomorrow ;)
Reply to top
Oh wow 26,218 is a big number, good thing I added that 5th digit, I didn't think it would actually be used though. Let me know how that class 10 SD card works out, you'll win the lottery before me. :)

The problem with the images is more than just loading, that's actually quite fast and with proper image management a screen would almost be instant if it wasn't for the fact a search is done on the card for the file it's opening. With the cards I'm using it takes about 100 milliseconds before it starts loading an image, so if screen has 10 small images that's guaranteed to take 1+ seconds. The images actually load in probably 20-50 millis but the searching takes the 1 second. I'm not sure but it appears that's why smaller cards are faster, less to search for that file. I don't really understand but this is the fault of the SD card library. Because of that I use a larger images to cover what could be 5 or 6 images as it loads faster overall as the search only happens once. You can really see the effect of this on the worst possible screen, the home page because of all the outlet icons. To increase speed on home page some of the smallest images are actually stored on the Arduino instead of SD card as those load instantly.
Reply to top
Yeah thats why I tryed a 128mb card, But that gave me a problem with my dosing pumps for some reason.

But what Did you do with the temperature?
Its only the watertemp on port 9 that is affected.
It has no digits after the “.” And contantly jumps up and down
Reply to top
Ah more egg on my face. I just again set my ports to match yours and I see first temp isn't in tenths, just shows 76.0 or 77.0 etc... Enable Port 1 - Sensor on equipment connected and it'll be ok. Next update....
Reply to top
Hahahaha good thing those Nice features keep messing around with you xD
Reply to top
Just updated to the 5.12 and I noticed a couple issues. Some related to new update, some not:

Specific to 5.12:
-ATO primary 'non-contact sensor' switch is reading "1" and ATO is continuing to run

Not specific to 5.12:
-After updating the controller and as its rebooting, the ATO will start running immediately until the controller fully boots
-Freezing of the display when adjusting light percentages, rebooting the display by holding the top left corner fixes the issue
Reply to top
Got the same issue with dosingpump 1..
It will run during a reboot.
Reply to top
Thanks for letting me know how these issues guys, I will look into them and have an update this weekend.

On the display freezing on light mode screen it didn't actually freeze but got stuck on a slider. This screen is setup so once you touch a slider the touch is locked to that slider until you release it but occasionally I have noticed it doesn't always unlock the screen after releasing. I keep forgetting to fix this but will, in mean time if that happens just move your finger along all the white slider markers and one will move and should unlock the touch for other things on the page.
Reply to top
(04-18-2019, 11:17 AM)midwestE Wrote: Just updated to the 5.12 and I noticed a couple issues.  Some related to new update, some not:

Specific to 5.12:
-ATO primary 'non-contact sensor' switch is reading "1" and ATO is continuing to run

Not specific to 5.12:
-After updating the controller and as its rebooting, the ATO will start running immediately until the controller fully boots
-Freezing of the display when adjusting light percentages, rebooting the display by holding the top left corner fixes the issue

Hi midwestE, I'm looking into the ATO issues and found the likely problem with the non-contact sensor but I'm surprised it would be specific to v5.12. I hooked up non-contact sensor and with the ATO sensor set to float it didn't work to my surprise. I then switched the sensor type to optical and once I adjusted the sensitivity level to 2 it turned on. The sensor data output voltage should match the power voltage so when connected to 5v it should put out 5v but I checked the voltage and it was only about 1.4v, I disconnected the sensor data wire from controller and it then put out 5v. So I'm guessing the pull-down resistor is a little to aggressive for the sensor and putting a load on it so to speak. 

So when the sensor is active the controller only sees 1.4v, if the ATO sensor type is set to float it expects at least 2.5v to turn on but on optical sensor type you can set it so the voltage expected to turn on is less. 

Now with all that said I don't think it's to hard on the sensor to stay like this but ultimately the pull-down resistor on controller board should probably be changed so the sensor has no load on it. At this point I'm not sure what to use but I will post later in case you want to change it. So for now set it like I mention and it should work.

As for the ATO running till controller startup is complete that was a bit of a mystery as I had the pump port turning LOW immediately but then it hit me maybe you are using an AC outlet on the I2C AC power bar? If so the problem with this power bar is when disconnected from controller all outlets turn on so the ATO pump would run till about mid way through the startup, 1-2 seconds. So what I've done is all outlets should immediately turn off when the controller resets and then go to the mode they should half way through the setup. This won't be a problem for the power bars I'm working on and as I'll be adding a screen to set default modes that can be used so you can say outlet 1 on, outlet 2 off etc... during startup for the older I2C power bars.

Updating should be coming in a few hours.
Reply to top
(04-19-2019, 10:47 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 11:17 AM)midwestE Wrote: Just updated to the 5.12 and I noticed a couple issues.  Some related to new update, some not:

Specific to 5.12:

Not specific to 5.12:

Hi midwestE, I'm looking into the ATO issues and found the likely problem with the non-contact sensor but I'm surprised it would be specific to v5.12. I hooked up non-contact sensor and with the ATO sensor set to float it didn't work to my surprise. I then switched the sensor type to optical and once I adjusted the sensitivity level to 2 it turned on. The sensor data output voltage should match the power voltage so when connected to 5v it should put out 5v but I checked the voltage and it was only about 1.4v, I disconnected the sensor data wire from controller and it then put out 5v. So I'm guessing the pull-down resistor is a little to aggressive for the sensor and putting a load on it so to speak. 

So when the sensor is active the controller only sees 1.4v, if the ATO sensor type is set to float it expects at least 2.5v to turn on but on optical sensor type you can set it so the voltage expected to turn on is less. 

Now with all that said I don't think it's to hard on the sensor to stay like this but ultimately the pull-down resistor on controller board should probably be changed so the sensor has no load on it. At this point I'm not sure what to use but I will post later in case you want to change it. So for now set it like I mention and it should work.

As for the ATO running till controller startup is complete that was a bit of a mystery as I had the pump port turning LOW immediately but then it hit me maybe you are using an AC outlet on the I2C AC power bar? If so the problem with this power bar is when disconnected from controller all outlets turn on so the ATO pump would run till about mid way through the startup, 1-2 seconds. So what I've done is all outlets should immediately turn off when the controller resets and then go to the mode they should half way through the setup. This won't be a problem for the power bars I'm working on and as I'll be adding a screen to set default modes that can be used so you can say outlet 1 on, outlet 2 off etc... during startup for the older I2C power bars.

Updating should be coming in a few hours.

Hey Rob,

I did some research and found out that my previous version was 5.06 so the ATO issue was somehow introduced after 5.06.  Let me add a little more context.  The ATO had been working fine up until the 5.12 update.  Immediately following the update, I heard the ATO turn on and it ran the full 4 minutes even though the primary non contact sensor was showing "1" on the display.  I also have a backup non contact sensor and that sensor was "open" (not indicating it sensed water).  By triggering the backup sensor, the ATO will shut off.

In regard to the ATO running after "reboot".  I updated today and found that it only runs during the flashing phase when uploading a new version.  On reboot the ATO does not run.  I have a normally closed solenoid that controls the ATO (hooked direct up to the RODI unit) and NOT an AC based pump.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v5.20 is Ready Rob F 51 30,407 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Robo-Tank v5.13 is Ready Rob F 61 35,317 06-19-2019, 12:30 AM
  Robo-Tank v5.10 is Ready Rob F 157 82,000 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM
  Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready Rob F 206 132,671 04-03-2019, 09:18 AM