Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.10 is Ready
Ok so my plan would be to do the controller first and than the display.
Does the display power up with no arduino mounted on the controller? And does it affact anything if I fit the arduino with 5.1 to the controller while the display is running the pre-update?
Reply to top
Yeah if you have the display plugged into controller and power up controller the display will still power up even if no Arduino on controller.

No problem having 5.1 on controller and pre-update on display.

So yes you can plug in Arduino with pre-update loaded to controller, wait 7 minutes after power up then plug in Arduino with 5.1 and controller is finished. Then leave it with 5.1 Arduino and now do the same to display. Once you upload 5.1 to display do a full power down and when you turn things on normally 5.1 should startup.

Edit: Even if display starts up with 5.1 immediately after upload don't press OK until you've done a complete power cycle and you're unplugged from computer.
Reply to top
Great So DONT forget the powercycle, got it
Reply to top
Yeah that's good to do, sometimes after uploading a sketch the Arduino doesn't reset properly and needs a power cycle.
Reply to top
did the pre-update but as soon as the controller started dosing pump 1 started running..
unplugged the dosing pumps and left it for 7 minutes, then power cycled it and left it again for atleast 7 minutes, had to wait for the 4.2 back-up anyways..

also, there is no calibration file included in the main display sketch..
so I added: #include UTouchCD.h (with the <> ofcourse)
which is the calibration I made when switching to 4.2

nothing attached to the controller ardiuno I get this on serial:
Starting Robo-Tank v5.10
Initializing sd card...
ERROR - sd card initialization failed!
ERROR - Can't find index.html file!
This should read 50: 255
Starting Controller -------------------

display reads:
Starting Robo-Tank v5.10
Initializing sd card...
ERROR - sd card initialization failed!
ERROR - Can't find homeIcon.raw file!
This Should Read 50: 255

which is normal I suppose...

but once connected the controller doesn't start.....
the splash screen is inverted and it doesn't appear to do anything... it just sits there with 1 bar.
serial on the display reads:
Starting Robo-Tank v5.10
Initializing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.
SUCCESS - Found robotank.raw file.
This Should Read 50: 50

and that's it, if I touch the screen it goes black and stops working.
did 2 power cycle's and nothing changes..
managed to find a cable long enough for the controller, but the serial monitor remains blank once the arduino is fitted to the controller....
reloaded the controller sketch to the controller and now the serial reads:
Starting Robo-Tank v5.10
Initializing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.
SUCCESS - Found index.html file.
This should read 50: 50
Starting Controller -------------------
Internet is not enabled
Startup Complete ----------------------1818

display is the same.

finally resetted the dislplay arduino with the reset button, and got everything up and running.
am I just a jackass who doesn't read manuals?

EDIT: images still inverted.....
EDIT2: touch still all over the place...
Reply to top
for some reason I can't get the calibration sketch working.
I know it worked when I loaded 4.2 and did the calibration...
it's attached to the controller for power and is attached by USB on my pc, but the screen stays black...

EDIT: without the ethernet attached it also won't start..
EDIT2: for some reason the touch is inverted in some parts of the screen in some menu's and is normal in that part in another menu
Reply to top
Oh no, what display do you have, I'm guessing CPLD or Sainsmart? I don't know why the images are inverting, because I don't have that display I never got to the bottom of it. This happened to someone else but they just ordered up another display. When you went back to v4.2 library did you close all IDE's on computer before uploading again?

As for touch did you copy that file to the from the old library folder to the new one? If you didn't it's pulling numbers that aren't for your display. The screen goes black with the calibration sketch because there is no code to keep the display lite so you couldn't have used that sketch with 4.2 as it would have been same result. The photocell which dims the display is turning it off because the code isn't there to set it high. Try replacing that UTouchCD.h file from the 4.2 library folder, make sure to close everythign after doing that otherwise the IDE won't see the new file. I haven't calibrated a screen in years so I have to try and dig up something that works.
Reply to top
CPLD, type reads MD070SD.
you supplied it when I first got a GEN1 kit so I was guessing you are using it as well.

without the calibration in the code it does sort of work, but as I said the touch differs in different menu's.

but I did close down the IDE when swapping libraries, also rebooted my PC a couple of times.
got a problem with the libraries, it would recognise the SDFat from 4.2 so had to reinstall the library via the library manager, close the IDE and paste the 4.2 library over it.
then it would compile and load, but gave me a message at the end:
Ongeldige bibliotheek gevonden in C:\Users\wouter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat: Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders.
Ongeldige bibliotheek gevonden in C:\Users\wouter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat: Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders.

I currently use the calibration provided in the 4.2 folders which is the least annoying.
how do I bypass the photocell to get the calibration running?

btw, the wife said if the images are inverted why don't you just grab a mirror?
so I'm using a pen as stylus and a mirror to decipher the images to set everything up :P

still odd that some pieces are in the correct place and some are mirrored..
coordinates seem to be off when building the screen or something
Reply to top
I started with Sainsmart displays which had a lot of trouble so I switched to the CPLD. I didn't put out to many of these before switching to the ElecFreaks displays. I switched again because some CPLD's backlight was dropping out. These EleFreak displays have been great. With that said as your's is still working you should be able to still use it but unfortunately I don't have a CPLD that works, 3 that don't, so I can't dig in to see what's wrong so we will have to try some things to get it working.

I'm going to put a set of libraries together and dig up a calibration sketch for you, I'll send it to your email as it'll be too large for attachments. It'll probably take about 20 minutes before I send it. When you get these delete all your libraries in your documents folder like warning above and replace with the ones I send. I'll add the CPLD touch file I have to the library if you want to try and upload first to see how it works. If still not good try the calibration.
Reply to top
touch appears OK with the use of a mirror I can guess where the button should be
does it help if I tell you that each section of the screen is mirrored, but an entire screen build up of multiple sections works fine.
it's just the sections that are mirrored
Reply to top
Sorry I don't understand.
Reply to top
should be in the attachment

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Just sent some files and updated sketched to try with some instructions.

I assume you commented out the ElecFreaks display and uncommented the CPLD display line?
Reply to top
yes, with elecfreaks is gets al blurry and doesn't do a thing

worked like a charm, how did you fix it?
and do I now have custom library's?

small issue.. the light shedule doesn't open :(
Reply to top
Ah wonderful, I was worried as I'm walking in the dark. I did what I was trying to explain lol, don't worry though it's not you, I just have problems explaining things. Yes we will say you have custom libraries but going forward it won't make any difference but do save them all in case you change computers as I won't find them then and we'll have to figure it out again.

Lights should work, maybe go to settings, system and press and hold restore defaults, it'll restart when finished and try setting up the lights.
Reply to top
when restoring defaults, will all my settings be gone?

btw lights work, I just can't open the schedule from the schedule sub-menu
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
I preupdated the both controller and display, waited 7 minutes, uploaded sketches. Same result, ASAP I touch screen, it goes black and blocked. Even if I restart. Quite same as Fietsenrex.
Reply to top
(04-07-2019, 01:13 PM)Dom59 Wrote: Hi Rob,
I preupdated the both controller and display, waited 7 minutes, uploaded sketches. Same result, ASAP I touch screen, it goes black and blocked. Even if I restart. Quite same as Fietsenrex.

I had to press reset on the display arduino to get somewhere
Reply to top
(04-07-2019, 01:15 PM)fietsenrex Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 01:13 PM)Dom59 Wrote: Hi Rob,

I had to press reset on the display arduino to get somewhere
I did that, without any change.
Reply to top
Ah wonderful again, I also have a problem of understanding others lol...

That button doesn't work at the moment, I forgot to add a link to the light modes page on it, was going to do that temporary, later I will make a list to match the others.

You view the light schedules on the light modes page. Under the slider you'll see a button that says "view Schedule Times" or "view modes", that will change the list on the left from mode names or scheduled times. If you press and hold you can edit depending which list you view.

Maybe go to the first post on v5.0 release as it's like a mini manual for the bigger changes in v5.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Ro...0-is-Ready

EDIT: don't bother pressing restore defaults, I thought the lights weren't working
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v5.20 is Ready Rob F 51 32,364 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Robo-Tank v5.13 is Ready Rob F 61 37,623 06-19-2019, 12:30 AM
  Robo-Tank v5.12 is Ready Rob F 34 23,632 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: fietsenrex
  Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready Rob F 206 142,280 04-03-2019, 09:18 AM