Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready
I deleted all the files from the pc libraries and the sd cards,i paste the new ones ,i uploaded the sketches on controller and display and the only thing shows is v. 5.0 and 1 red dot  but finaly doesn't start.........also none message apperars like update is ready to install

I found my mistake......when uploading the sketches must not power up the controller or the display or connect both with the ethernet cable.!!!!!.....only connect the pc with controller arduino via usb cable and do the upload.Do the same with the display and diskonnect the usb.Connect the ethernet cable and power the controller.So a message appear to press the update button....thas all
Reply to top
Glad to hear you got it solved johnrc, hope you enjoy it.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
Can you tell us how to set the heater ?
I put him on the outlets,i choose the correct sensor andsetted the temperature when to open and close,but the heater works independently from the sensor.Also i set the filter as always on to outlets schedule,it is working ,bur on the main screen it looks closed
Reply to top
Hi johnrc, for the always on schedule, I just set one and it did the same thing, icon on display didn't turn green, I then restarted just the display and it resumed how it should. This only seems to be happening with always on schedules.

As for the heater I think a reset will also fix it, try just the display reset, if not then do a controller reset.

If you press and hold top left corner for 2 seconds only the display will restart. If you press have hold top right corner for 2 seconds both will restart.
Reply to top
Also the light function on schedules doesn't work for me .Only the lights on settings work.
Reply to top
Right I have re uploaded v5 onto both the display and the controller (had to remove the Arduino from the controller as it will not connect via the external USB unless the controller is powered up), re loaded the v4 files onto both SD card and then copied the v5 to them replacing the old with the new, re connected everything (sensors & display but not the power bars) and its still the same, power on, v4 splash with v5.00 top left and one red block at the bottom, does nothing else no matter how long I leave it, no message to update.
If I open the serial monitor I get
Initializing sd card...
ERROR - sd card initialization failed!
ERROR - Can't find index.html file!
Starting Controller -------------------This should read 50: 255

What format should the controller SD card be? fat, fat32 etc?
Reply to top
So I have put v4.2 back on, it sees the SD card and loads/works fine, seems to be a problem with the V5 files for the SD card (just deleted all files and copied the v4.2 over) not the card or format type.
Reply to top
(02-07-2019, 05:44 AM)johnrc Wrote: Also the light function on schedules doesn't work for me  .Only the lights on settings work.

I've been running my lights the last week using schedules so it does work for some at least on some level. Are you sure you setup "daily light modes" and not temporary light modes? The temp modes you can set schedules but they don't work yet, only schedules for daily schedules work.

Also if you haven't always try a restart if something is working properly to see if that sorts it out, if it does let me know what it sorted out.

(02-07-2019, 07:25 AM)Rob Wheatley Wrote: Right I have re uploaded v5 onto both the display and the controller (had to remove the Arduino from the controller as it will not connect via the external USB unless the controller is powered up), re loaded the v4 files onto both SD card and then copied the v5 to them replacing the old with the new, re connected everything (sensors & display but not the power bars) and its still the same, power on, v4 splash with v5.00 top left and one red block at the bottom, does nothing else no matter how long I leave it, no message to update.
If I open the serial monitor I get
Initializing sd card...
ERROR - sd card initialization failed!
ERROR - Can't find index.html file!
Starting Controller -------------------This should read 50: 255

What format should the controller SD card be? fat, fat32 etc?

Ok I see the problem, there's two. The SD card isn't being initialized but that doesn't matter to much right now as only web data is stored. However I'm guessing that would go away if you unplugged card, plugged back in and reset. The format should be fat32. 

The main problem is the last line of text you posted, at the end of last line it has 255 but that should be 50.

This means the eeprom is being read and that can happen after a programming. After you program power down everything and power back up and it should be ok. 

Quite a few have loaded it up now so it is working, I think it just needs to be powered down after programming
Reply to top
Hi Rob
I have had to remove the arduino from the controller to program it as it's not recognised by windows using the external USB port on the controller unless I power the controller with 12v as well, did try that the first time but still the same result. I have tried to boot the controller a couple of times after leaving it for 10 mins or so to see what it did but still the same.
Reply to top
Hey Rob, sorry I might have confused you. The controller should be powered with 12v while programming and your first attempt at programming was successful as you got the text I expected from the serial monitor.

The problem I was thinking, which I've experienced, is sometimes after programming the Arduino doesn't reset properly and the I2C doesn't work until you completely power down everything then power it back up again. So I was hoping you only had to do a power cycle, different from a reset.

I'm a little confused why v4.2 worked immediately after you uploaded it, but that's good as it proves the hardware is ok.

I assume when you have the controller programmed with v4.2 and you open the serial monitor in IDE for controller you will see similar lines of text like you posted, but do you see the EEPROM line say 50 at the end? You must otherwise it wouldn't startup.

That's a simple test of the eeprom at startup, when controller starts it writes 50 to an eeprom location and then reads that location and prints the results, if its 50 it works, if its 255 its not working. The eeprom uses I2C which sometimes doesn't reset properly after programming.

Could you trying loading v5 on the controller again, open the serial monitor and look for that 50. If it's 255, unplug from computer, close Arduino IDE serial monitor, unplug the power and then plug everything back in and open the serial monitor again to see if it now says 50. Once it says 50 after a few seconds another line will appear in the serial monitor saying controller is finished starting. At that point the display would then move on. If that doesn't happen the display will never change.

It should definitely work if you aren't having troubles with v4.2. It should take about 5 seconds for the display to splash a screen saying update is available and an OK button will appear.
Reply to top
Hi Rob
Ok re loaded v5 on the controller and display Arduino's along with the v5 sd card files, Im now getting the correct message in serial monitor:

Initializing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.
SUCCESS - Found index.html file.
Starting Controller -------------------This should read 50: 50

Not getting finished starting though, just as far as the 50:50

The display still stays with the v5 logo top right, one red block at the bottom and nothing else, if I touch the screen it goes blank and it seems the backlight goes off!
Reply to top
Sorry this is being so difficult Rob, that message looks good except for the lack of the important line.

I've been doing some testing and managed to get your scenario, I'm surprised others were able to update, they got lucky an old eeprom location had a number stored v5 relies on, your's unfortunately doesn't so the controller is in a frenzy it'll never get over.

I attached a sketch to upload to the controller, this will setup all the default values on the controller so it has numbers it expects and actually starts up. After you upload this sketch open the serial monitor and it will say "Start", wait about 5 minutes and it will say "Finished". At that point you can upload v5 to the controller again, and this time the serial monitor will print that ever important line. Then you will finally see the message on the display to update.

If the message doesn't automatically appear on the display when everything is turned on, press the top left corner of display for 2 seconds while the controller is powered and connected and it will reset the display (you can also just unplug display and plug back in) and you will get that message for sure. :)

You are correct the screen is going blank because the back light is turning off, that's because the display hasn't read the eeprom yet to see what the back light level should be so it goes blank, that won't happen when the update message appears.

Attached Files
.zip   Pre_Update.zip (Size: 1.15 KB / Downloads: 196)
Reply to top
Hallo ich habe auf v5 aktualisiert, bei mir ist das display spiegel verkehrt, hab das richtige display ausgewählt.
Reply to top
Hi Addi, which display do you have? I didn't change anything with that. Did you try all the display types?
Reply to top
Ich habe ein 7 zoll cpld display, Version 4.2 war es richtig, jetzt nicht mehr
Reply to top
That's strange, can you try coping the libraries from v4.2 package to your libraries directory and try it again. Only the libraries control that aspect and I don't think I made any changes but maybe I'm forgetting. After you copy back the old libraries make sure to close all Arduino IDE's other wise it won't see the replacement.
Reply to top
Hab jetzt 4.2 installiert, ist alles in ordnung , probiere es morgen noch mal . Komisch das nur ich das problem habe

Die raw dateien waren alle spiegelverkert nich das display
Reply to top
Hmm, so all the text is proper just the images are mirrored? That seems very odd, there's nothing special when I make the images so I don't know how they could be mirrored and now you went back to v4.2 we know libraries are ok as they are. Try v5 again without touching the libraries. I'll think about it and hopefully something will hit me. Also for the heck of it, make sure you have the robotank.raw and keyboard.raw from v4.2 on the SD card as those images are original from v4.2 then check the customize labels screen to load the keyboard to see if its mirrored as well.

I think you're the only one to experience this because I sold very few of the CPLD displays back in the day.
Reply to top
Es war das cpld display , habe noch eins von sainsmart jetzt gehts ,danke ROB
Reply to top
Glad you were able to get something working Addi.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v5.20 is Ready Rob F 51 30,436 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Robo-Tank v5.13 is Ready Rob F 61 35,339 06-19-2019, 12:30 AM
  Robo-Tank v5.12 is Ready Rob F 34 22,143 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: fietsenrex
  Robo-Tank v5.10 is Ready Rob F 157 82,107 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM