Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank 3.0 - Repackaged
You make some good points, another thing that worries me about HDMI, are all cables the same. The thing I don't like with the Ethernet cable is two are required for the DC module but at this time it doesn't seem people mind. The extensions can be a long distance from main controller so definitely long Ethernet cables are cheapers, HDMI is only cheap with short cables.
Reply to top
Hi Rob! Very nice design!! What are you using to protect the main input from reverse voltage? I think I’ve seen a mosfet near the DC plug…
Thank you!!
Reply to top
Thanks Simon. You have a good eye, that's a P mosfet, this is what the circuit looks like. Using this style there's almost no voltage drop.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/wKY0b.png
Reply to top
Hi Rob, So I love the new design of the controller. I like that it uses RJ45 for the extensions and allows more modularity. Question, I have the 2 revisions before this (the deluxe controller I think v2). I'm running that, 2 powerbars, the little non contact/optical sensor via usb thing, and a DC extension and a Sensor extension. I'd personally like to go all in on the new controller. What all would I need to purchase? I'm okay with replacing things if it makes it more cohesive with the direction you are going.

Thanks
Reply to top
Hi albinochicken89, that's great to hear you like it, thanks. I think you probably have v1 as v2 was only available mid Nov but both are similar so it doesn't matter. The extension you have will work on new controller so you wouldn't need that, just need to update reef-pi connectors with different pins. The power bars will work as well and you can still run the pca9685 expansion.

So you would need the controller and the two new extensions, this would be equivalent to the controller you have without extensions. The new controller doesn't have any extra ports, I just moved 20 to the 3 RJ45's so they can go to the extensions instead.

Going forward I do have plans to update the old extensions, they will have the same port configuration but sensors will be setup like the new sensor extension.
Reply to top
I got some mounting hardware for the controller and a method to mount a cooling fan for a Pi 3 or Pi 4. 

Everything use the same mounting bracket, it's a rail system. Two rails are mounted on the lid and a plate is mounted on the wall, then you can slide the controller on/off the mount. 

If a cooling fan is mounted to the lid the rails are 16.5mm tall vs 2mm if no fan is used. The wall plate is 5mm thick so total additional height is 21.5mm or 7mm. Each rail is mounted using 3 screws, the tall rails have 14mm long screws to keep it very secure, they aren't going nowhere. 

I used a 50mm x 50mm x 10mm fan, my thought was a larger fan could be slowed down to make quite. Here's some numbers. I mounted a DS18B20 temp sensor directly under the Pi so I could get temps where it matters. Like this the fan doesn't directly blow on it. I also used this command to read the core temperature of the Pi. vcgencmd measure_temp

Running a Raspberry Pi 3 the case temperature got up to 41.9c or 107.4f, the core temperature got up to 59.6c or 139.3f. With the 12v fan running full speed the case temperature dropped to 23.6c or 74.5f and the core temperature dropped to 33.2c or 91.8f. The room temperature was about 22.2c or 72f.

I haven't tested with a Pi 4 yet but expect the cooling to be similar. 

This picture is the controller dropping into the bracket, it goes all the way down but positioned like this works as a great stand if you want the controller sitting on a shelf in this position. 

[Image: CAM03112-optimized.jpg]

This is the controller slide all the way in bracket. The other 2 extensions looked the same, they have the short rails as a fan isn't required but slide into the same bracket. 

[Image: CAM03110-optimized.jpg]
The fan sits directly over the Raspberry Pi.
[Image: CAM03120-optimized.jpg]

[Image: CAM03108-optimized.jpg]
Fan cable goes through a hole in the lid and can plug directly into the controller.

[Image: CAM03122-optimized.jpg]

[Image: CAM03135-optimized.jpg]

This pic has the short rails mounted.

[Image: CAM03137-optimized.jpg]

Wall plate
[Image: CAM03144-optimized.jpg]
Rails

[Image: CAM03149-optimized.jpg]

It's standing on the mount and is balanced properly, if you tip it down at the front it wants to go back to flat. 

[Image: CAM03107-optimized.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Rob F's post:
  • albinochicken89, Coloredrock, dcartier
Reply to top
Very nice.. .btw.. really enjoying my v2 with the power bar.

.Wife not so much.. have cables all spread out organizing my electrical cabinet.
Reply to top
Thanks and glad to hear you're enjoying it. I forgot to say this bracket can be used on the other controllers as well, just need to mount the rails. I'm going to update the lids with holes if anyone wants to print them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • Coloredrock
Reply to top
I'm interested in the wall mount, do you think to make something similiar for the v2 and each other board ?
Reply to top
Yeah that can be used for v2 and other things. If you can print yourself I can get the files ready or I can print them for you.
Reply to top
I can print, i don't know when but i'll do. At the moment i'm having trouble with the printer
Reply to top
Sounds good, I'll get the files updated tonight and posted here, the date at the bottom of the page will be changed when I do.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/Robo-Tank_3D_Printable_Cases

You'll also need to print the lid again or try and line up holes for the rails.
Reply to top
Hey Rob, any news?
i'm waiting for the files to print the lid
Reply to top
Hi, I just uploaded the files.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/Robo-Tank_3D_Printable_Cases
Reply to top
thank you

should i print a different lid or the standard one is ok?
Reply to top
It would be easier to print a new lid as it has 3 holes for each rail however if you can make holes in the correct spots you don't need it.
Reply to top
probably you had an older version for the lid because the one i've downloded some days ago, had the holes...
Reply to top
I just uploaded them yesterday, there should be 10 holes total, I think maybe you have 4? Those 4 are for a fan.
Reply to top
oh, yes, i have only 4. hopefully i was waiting for you so i'll print the new one
Reply to top