Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nixu's Aquarium setup (Work in progres)
Hi everybody! 

My kit arrived today :) And couple of hours i am doing anything but installing this hardware in places. Now display "case" and power/relay box is almost ready. I wanted as clean install as possible, so i decide mount display to my aquarium cabinet door. And because cabinet is white, i also wanted white bezel and white controller / relay boxes. I upload more pictures and tell how everything goes, but now have to eat something. There is first shot :)

Reply to top
Now that is nice, where did you get the bezel?
Reply to top
(10-17-2016, 01:45 PM)fietsenrex Wrote: Now that is nice, where did you get the bezel?

I used 4D Systems bezel. More info http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/Bezel/ And i buy it over Tme.eu shop, because it is in europe, so i dont have to pay taxes, cost about 15$ + postage fee. http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/4d-bezel-70...d-systems/
Reply to top
Wow, that's pretty sharp looking, good job! I'll get you some sketches tonight so you can lose the red plug and get some temps. :)
Reply to top
Now my outletbox / relaybox is ready. I have to choose quite large box because, here Finland we have big schuko outlets. Here is couple of pictures of it (bigger picture if you click it). And because aquarium, aquarium cabinet, display bezel etc are white so i wanted to make this white also :)

Box outside: 

[Image: 14272380.t.jpg]

Power cord and vga terminal (relay pins/data and +12v to controller goes trough this, so  one simple vga cable (you can use normal vga cable, no modifications needed :) ) between relay and controller box. 

[Image: 14272383.t.jpg]

And last, inside of box (note, outlet cabels are not connected this photo) :

[Image: 14272384.t.jpg]
Reply to top
Looks good, what's the black power supply for?
Reply to top
(10-18-2016, 02:27 PM)Rob F Wrote: Looks good, what's the black power supply for?

Hi, it is 5v power supply, to run those relays. Now it has  two separate power sources so isolation works :) And also my regulator / DC-DC stepdown was broken. It make annoying coil whine. And i was lazy and doesn't manage to go buy another. So i look my stash, and use this :)
Reply to top
Ah, to replace the regulators I forgot to include.  K0587 Glad you were able to make lemonade.  K0507

I think using a DC-DC stepdown provides the same isolation as another power supply since the grounds are still common.
Reply to top
Controller box is now almost complete :) I decide put controller to same kind and size box where is my relay/outlets, because there is plenty of room i can put inside tentacle shield  (isolated connection to ph, conductivity, etc. stamps ) and other stuff :)

Picture of controller box and relay box next to other:

[Image: 14272885.t.jpg]

Backside of controller box, i put vga connector (power +12v and relay data goes trough this) so on simple cable between relay box and controller box. There is space to add another if i ever need more than 8 socket / outlets. Next to vga connector i put RJ-45 / lan connector (display power and data goes trough this). Also later there will be ph, and conductivity sockets and couple off holes or inlets/outlets to temp probes, dosing pumps, etc...) 

[Image: 14272886.t.jpg]

Next is front side of controller box. I wanted that as clean as possible because, when those boxes are in the cabinet i only see front sides :) I put there only power led and usb socket, its only for programming to arduino. I want update software as easy that possible, so now i can put cable in that socket and program update :) 

[Image: 14272889.t.jpg]

Sad to say but i think Rob made there little design flaw :/ Arduino programming port is about there where red arrow pointing (below pcb :D of course) Direction is same as lan shield above it. And now if you want to upgrade arduino you have to open screws lift off controller board and connect usb, and then put all back together. Or you have to you use some kind usb extension cable which you let connected to arduino. Or you have to put your board so high, that you can put cable there and take it of. And then box must be kind of big, because it need lot of space around board. 

Of course this is only what i am observed / learning when "play" this awesome project. There might be better way of connect usb cable, but i didn't notice it :D  

[Image: 14272894.t.jpg]
Reply to top
Looks good. There was a small design flaw on that board but that's not it. For programming, the idea is a person uses a small patch cable from the arduino to the case so it can be programmed externally. Just like the USB plug you mounted, you can get one that has a Micro USB connector to plug into the arduino. You should be able to find that locally. I include that in the enclosure parts kit as I'm trying to keep the controller kit cost down.

The design flaw is the w5100 shield port is directly over the power plug for the external indicator LED. It still works but it shouldn't have been there. I have moved it along with the relay power plugs on the boards coming.
Reply to top
(10-19-2016, 02:00 PM)Rob F Wrote: Looks good. There was a small design flaw on that board but that's not it. For programming, the idea is a person uses a small patch cable from the arduino to the case so it can be programmed externally. Just like the USB plug you mounted, you can get one that has a Micro USB connector to plug into the arduino. You should be able to find that locally. I include that in the enclosure parts kit as I'm trying to keep the controller kit cost down.

The design flaw is the w5100 shield port is directly over the power plug for the external indicator LED. It still works but it shouldn't have been there. I have moved it along with the relay power plugs on the boards coming.

Haha :D yep i notice that :D when i try to connect indicator led, i right away noticed that connectors / wires block some of RJ-45 port. I figured it out, by cut these pins little lower, and soldering led cables to them :D
Reply to top
Glad you figured it out. :)
Reply to top
Now controller box and power/outlet box is in their places :) This left cabinet door/section is for controller box and power box only. And right cabinet door / section (behind screen) is for co2 stuff and dosing pumps / containers. I wanted to keep "simple" and clean, so i doesn't want to mix diffrent equipment and boxes same cabinets / sections :) 

[Image: 14273530.t.jpg]
Reply to top
I forgot to add pictures backside of display, (how mounted my display) so there are few :) I know that they are not pretty :D But luckily it all was hidden, so no one can sees it :D
I also put white cover / box to cover all parts, so no one can broke them accidentally (I mean my kid and she's friends :D )

[Image: 14273724.t.jpg]

and :

[Image: 14273725.t.jpg]
Reply to top
Always a mess in the back. :) With a cover it should be safe. Since the board isn't mounted you might want to clamp the cable to the door so it doesn't try to move at the board. Over time the board could slowly unplug from the screen when the door is opened/closed.
Reply to top
There is some old picture of dosing pumps and liquid containers. Currently all containers is full :)

[Image: 14293315.t.jpg]
Reply to top
I decide to modified web control page to more suitable to my needs. I use it only in mobile phone, so i wanted simplicity. And i like more dark backgrounds. So there is what i have now.

It is still wip (work in progress) :) and i have to modified those control buttons colors. Because that green is too bright to mee. That resume auto mode button green is better, and i change that in control buttons too. And red is also going littlebit darker tone.

It is now running and almost functionaly (doses left is not yet working, but maybe soon) :) All other functions work. I have to put one more page, and insert light modes somewhere and adjust those buttons to smaller and maybe diffrent shape etc...

You can see bigger picture if you click it :) 

[Image: 14295968.t.jpg]

Edit. I added current light mode to control tab/page. Tomorrow i have to make better icons for it :)

[Image: 14296065.t.jpg]
Reply to top
Looks good, I like the tabs, one day I'll have to go this route. Also plans to add more control from mobile.
Reply to top
I like that setup you have put a lot of work in to your tank to make it yours have you posted pics of the tank and your fish?
Reply to top
Now those control buttons has new little darker colors. so it don't burn my eyes :D Maybe i change that header / tabs green little darker too :)

[Image: 14296215.t.jpg]

Edit: And now header / tabs is darker tone too :) And i added one more tab / page. And yep this is page where i can see live feed to my aquarium, everywhere i am :) So no more controlling aquarium in blind :)

Next weekend i move camera to better place and attach it securely so it dont move or fall etc. And wrap up wirings nicely etc. And then i can post picture of this setup also.

There is quick screenshot, but in this screenshot camera was offline, i have to remove temporaly wirings and temporaly setup, so i can clean my livingroom :D But weekend i put them back nicely.

Click picture if you want to see it bigger :) I also added those little icons to tabs. I think they fits there fine :) 

[Image: 14296410.t.jpg]
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish work build in ... Martin 14 16,593 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Last Post: rott
Big Grin Robo-tank best controller aquarium majid.gh 2 6,141 09-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: majid.gh