Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting and cable management suggestions
Hi all:

The following pictures show my first attempt at mounting and cable management of my aquarium automation. In a previous life I worked with IT data/voice rack cabinets, but that stuff is standardized and readily available; no such luck with aquarium equipment. Nevertheless, I tried to apply some of the same principles because the wiring mess can become burdensome and even dangerous when you mix electricity and salt water.

My inspiration came from these guys, who are gracious enough to provide blueprints even if you don't buy from them: Bulk Reef Supply Adaptive Reef. I'm not a PVC artisan so please excuse the roughness, but thank goodness for Dremel tools. I purchased 2 PVC panel boards from Home Depot: both are 2x4 feet wide, but one is 1/2 inch and the other 1/4 inch thick. The other materials were spray paint, nylon zip ties and wood screws (stainless steel are best but any will do as long as you paint them well).

As this is my first attempt I now realize that I made it too small for all the darn cabling I have. I will do better next time. I hope you find this post useful.

Regards,

José

Hi all:
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
Looks good Jose.
Reply to top
Hi all:

It turned out that v1 of the mounting board was too cramped for easy maintenance, so this this version 2. The bigger space and 2 sided layout (equipment in front, cabling in the back) is way better.

The small HDMI touch display is technically unnecessary but it eliminates the need for a network, which is helpful during storms. Plus, there's no need to pull out a cellphone/tablet/laptop to get an quick glance at the tank's status.

The empty space on the center-right is available for future expansion.

Hope the idea is useful to someone...

Attached Files Image(s)

José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 2 users Like JFReyes's post:
  • Dewd, Rob F
Reply to top
That looks very clean, good job. Makes me think of when I was young looking at car stereo equipment, it was usually laid out something similar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top
Big Grin 
(01-09-2021, 06:17 PM)Rob F Wrote: That looks very clean, good job. Makes me think of when I was young looking at car stereo equipment, it was usually laid out something similar.

Thanks. Well, I've also installed a few car stereos but having been in IT for 25+ years (rack equipment, structured cabling, etc.) helped too... :-)

Cheers,
José

Reply to top
wow that looks great. Guess I need to get off my but and get mine setup and going. the tablet is connected threw wifi?

how tall is that board looks like almost 4 foot tall
[-] The following 1 user Likes rott's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top
(02-15-2021, 01:46 PM)rott Wrote: wow that looks great. Guess I need to get off my but and get mine setup and going. the tablet is connected threw wifi?

Hi:

It's not a tablet, it's a 10 inch HDMI touch display. At first I thought about using a tablet but decided against it to avoid WiFi problems (it seems that the RPI's lose connectivity occasionally). It hooks up directly to the RPi's HDMI/USB sockets and works as a console. Plus it cost me $150 new, less than a 10 inch tablet.
José

Reply to top
that is a good Idea I am going to try and use a reefPi for an outside pond soon as the snow melts and I can get to the pond :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes rott's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top
The board is a PVC panel 2' x 4' x 1/2". I actually had to buy 2 of them because one is not enough for the side panels. However, I still have material left for additional shelves and cable mounts.
José

Reply to top
how heavy is it?? do you plan on hanging it on a wall or keeping it on the floor?
Reply to top
It weighs about 40 pounds, a lot of which comes from the cabling and power adapters on the back. Right now it's on the floor but I'm not sure about hanging it on a wall because whenever I have to make or fix a connection and then secure it on the backside (not often, but it happens) it would be a hassle.
José

Reply to top
can you post what screen your using and where you got it from so I can read about it a little it looks very nice and clean I like the way the edges are finished and it looks to have some kinda camera or a light sensor just above the screen
Reply to top
(03-02-2021, 12:08 AM)rott Wrote: can you post what screen your using and where you got it from so I can read about it a little it looks very nice and clean I like the way the edges are finished and it looks to have some kinda camera or a light sensor just above the screen

I bought an ELECROW 10.1 Inch Touchscreen monitor from Amazon (see here). It's just a monitor with a built-in speaker so there are no cameras nor light sensors. It works great and cost less ($150) that a similar size tablet.
José

Reply to top
(03-02-2021, 01:26 PM)JFReyes Wrote: I bought an ELECROW 10.1 Inch Touchscreen monitor from Amazon (see here). It's just a monitor with a built-in speaker so there are no cameras nor light sensors. It works great and cost less ($150) that a similar size tablet.

I had someone asking how you mount it. Looks like I see 4 screw holes 75mm apart on the back, did you use these and push bolts through stand?
Reply to top
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I just aligned two screws vertically on the panel and slid their heads along the vertical slot. Easy on, easy off.
José

[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(03-12-2021, 02:12 AM)JFReyes Wrote: I'm embarrassed to admit it but I just aligned two screws vertically on the panel and slid their heads along the vertical slot. Easy on, easy off.

Thanks, that sounds even better than bolting it in place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top