Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting updated reef-pi code from JFReyes
(01-19-2021, 04:07 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: I apologize for the translation. I'm trying to download version 4.1.13, but I can't download the file, it doesn't exist

Here's a link to download it.

https://robo-tank.ca/reef-pi/reef-pi-4.1-13-gcf56656-MODIFIED.deb
Reply to top
Hello:

I just placed a pull request of my changes so far to the upstream (Ranjib's official) version. Shall they be accepted then they'll be available in the regular reef-pi distribution. Nevertheless, I intend to keep making improvements that will be posted here first. Thank you all for your support.

Cheers,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
Right on, those will make nice additions, looking forward to whatever else you come up with.
Reply to top
Hi:

I just sent Rob the latest version reef-pi-4.1-70-g28d923a-MODIFIED.deb for hosting. Please be patient until it's available for download.

This version adds an optional "blank" panel (called "Unassigned") to the dashboard to use as filler, instead of the Health widget. This should improve the look and feel of the dashboard.

Now the Journal entries are sorted alphanumerically by name instead of by id.

It also fixes the missing title for the Equipment Switch Panel widget as well as the 2 digit temp readings, which were broken upstream.

Hope y'all like it and please send me your feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(02-05-2021, 12:36 PM)JFReyes Wrote: Hi:

I just sent Rob the latest version reef-pi-4.1-70-g28d923a-MODIFIED.deb for hosting. Please be patient until it's available for download.

This version adds an optional "blank" panel (called "Unassigned") to the dashboard to use as filler, instead of the Health widget. This should improve the look and feel of the dashboard.

It also fixes the missing title for the Equipment Switch Panel widget as well as the 2 digit temp readings, which were broken upstream.

Hope y'all like it and please send me your feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,

This will be useful, thanks for sharing.

Is there anything you can do with temp validation? Sometimes a bad DS18B20 can cause -1 or 185 to be logged and mess up the charts.
Reply to top
(02-05-2021, 08:04 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 12:36 PM)JFReyes Wrote: Hi:

Thanks,

This will be useful, thanks for sharing.

Is there anything you can do with temp validation? Sometimes a bad DS18B20 can cause -1 or 185 to be logged and mess up the charts.

Please send me more background information and I'll look into it.

Thanks,
José

Reply to top
Here's a little info on the error.

https://www.controlbyweb.com/support/faq/temp-sensor-reading-error.html#:~:text=If%20the%20measurement%20sequence%20fails,value%20of%20the%20temperature%20register.&text=The%20DS18B20%20digital%20temperature%20sensor,in%20the%20'Parasitic'%20mode.

Here's some discussion about it on reef-pi.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-p...ng.641948/

I think the 185 could be ignored with a simple if temp > as no tank will ever be 85c but the -1 I'm not sure as some people do monitor negative temperatures.
Reply to top
Hi folks:

Sorry for the confusion but there was more cleanup to be made to the previous version, so here it is: reef-pi-4.1-72-g7e8dec4-MODIFIED.deb. Please be patient until Rob hosts it. To keep track of the versions the number to look for is the one right after the major version numbered after upstream; in this case it's 72 (major version being 4.1).

Apart from technical fixes, I put a border around the Unassigned and Equipment Switch panels.

As always, I look forward to your feedback and suggestions. Thank you.
José

• loksik.lubos
Reply to top
Hello guys I`ve been trying to download but I can not, there is an error 404
Reply to top
(03-24-2021, 05:13 PM)Kulawka2 Wrote: Hello guys I`ve been trying to download but I can not, there is an error 404

I messaged RobF (the forum owner) and I hope he'll come up with a simpler way to download de modified app. Please be patient.

Thanks,
José

Reply to top
(03-24-2021, 05:13 PM)Kulawka2 Wrote: Hello guys I`ve been trying to download but I can not, there is an error 404

Sorry, here's the latest package link, this should work with wget in the Raspberry Pi terminal.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi/reef-pi...DIFIED.deb

We're working on making this easier.
Reply to top
Hello again:

I released a new version of my modified reef-pi software. Unlike previous releases, from now on they will be hosted on my Github repo at github.com/prsws/reef-pi/. It works similarly to Ranjib's repo so I believe this will simplify deployment and support. Another benefit is that previous versions (starting with this one) will be available in case I screw up. I'm very grateful to Rob for hosting my previous releases and stay committed to publishing the news and receiving feedback on this forum first.

The release is called reef-pi-4.1-127-g99f3eae-MODIFIED.deb and it includes the following:

* added a checkbox to the list of Equipments to select whether they should stay off upon boot. It has happened to me that a timer or macro controlled equipment is turned on when a power outage happens. When power comes back on the equipment restarts but the timer/macro is not running anymore. This can result in -- for example -- a dosing pump remaining turned on for hours. If the feature works well I will add it to the ATO and Dosing capabilities.

* fixed a problem with the Dosing calibration modal that was introduced upstream after the official 4.1 release. Since I base my work on the latest master branch from upstream, the bug sneaked into my code. If you encounter problems with it please let me know.

As always, thank you for your interest and feedback.

Regards,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Thanks for your hard work, that checkbox to stay off sounds great! I was rather surprised to recently hear a timer running during a power outage could have such a harmful effect, this sounds like a good solution. On my old controller when it started everything would be off and then it would run a check on sensors and then through all schedules, etc and determine where things should be based on date/time/sensors and set accordingly.
Reply to top
(04-03-2021, 01:14 PM)Rob F Wrote: Thanks for your hard work, that checkbox to stay off sounds great! I was rather surprised to recently hear a timer running during a power outage could have such a harmful effect, this sounds like a good solution. On my old controller when it started everything would be off and then it would run a check on sensors and then through all schedules, etc and determine where things should be based on date/time/sensors and set accordingly.

Hi Rob:

I think of this as a stopgap measure because the real issue is that reef-pi's code doesn't do what you mention, which I think is the proper way of handling this scenario, but the stay-off-at-boot is still useful. We'll see.

Thanks,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Hello:

Released a new version reef-pi-4.1-131-gf905e4d-MODIFIED.deb. It only includes technical and bug fixes for inclusion into upstream master branch and has no new features. You can find it at my Github repo here.

Thanks,
José

[-] The following 2 users Like JFReyes's post:
  • kukulin, Rob F
Reply to top
(04-03-2021, 11:43 AM)JFReyes Wrote: Hello again:

I released a new version of my modified reef-pi software. Unlike previous releases, from now on they will be hosted on my Github repo at github.com/prsws/reef-pi/. It works similarly to Ranjib's repo so I believe this will simplify deployment and support. Another benefit is that previous versions (starting with this one) will be available in case I screw up. I'm very grateful to Rob for hosting my previous releases and stay committed to publishing the news and receiving feedback on this forum first.

The release is called reef-pi-4.1-127-g99f3eae-MODIFIED.deb and it includes the following:

* added a checkbox to the list of Equipments to select whether they should stay off upon boot. It has happened to me that a timer or macro controlled equipment is turned on when a power outage happens. When power comes back on the equipment restarts but the timer/macro is not running anymore. This can result in -- for example -- a dosing pump remaining turned on for hours. If the feature works well I will add it to the ATO and Dosing capabilities.

* fixed a problem with the Dosing calibration modal that was introduced upstream after the official 4.1 release. Since I base my work on the latest master branch from upstream, the bug sneaked into my code. If you encounter problems with it please let me know.

As always, thank you for your interest and feedback.

Regards,
Hello,

Thank you for all your work!  Was there any thought of adding a time delay upon boot?  Would be useful for things such as skimmers.  Maybe there is a way to do it now I just have not discovered?

Thank you,
John
[-] The following 1 user Likes john@sjkproducts.com's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(04-11-2021, 07:05 PM)john@sjkproducts.com Wrote: Thank you,
John

John:

Thank you for your feedback. It did not occur to me to add a time delay upon boot. Could you expand on its use case? Seems that the required code changes would be in the same source files as the stay-off-on-boot feature.

Thanks,
José

Reply to top
(04-12-2021, 03:49 AM)JFReyes Wrote:
John

John:

Thank you for your feedback. It did not occur to me to add a time delay upon boot. Could you expand on its use case? Seems that the required code changes would be in the same source files as the stay-off-on-boot feature.

Thanks,
Hello,

When the system is off the sump level rises with no return pump running. When everything turns back on at once the skimmer can overflow due to the high water level in the sump until the return pump has a chance to bring it back to normal.

Thanks again!
John
Reply to top
(04-12-2021, 03:57 AM)john@sjkproducts.com Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 03:49 AM)JFReyes Wrote:
John

John:

Thanks,
Hello,

When the system is off the sump level rises with no return pump running. When everything turns back on at once the skimmer can overflow due to the high water level in the sump until the return pump has a chance to bring it back to normal.

Thanks again!
John

Hi again:

I get it now. I don't have a sump (my equipment is all HOB) so I couldn't visualize this scenario. However, I would be concerned about using a timed start though. Since people have different types and sizes of pumps in their sumps, wouldn't a float switch in the sump work better? A timed start would require "calibration" in the sense that one would have to measure the time it takes (which could be long) for the pump to push enough water so the skimmer doesn't overflow, then enter it into the application. Another complication would be how to handle the timed start itself in the code because one doesn't want to stall the bootup process waiting for a timer; perhaps spawning a cron job could work.

On the other hand with a float switch, the skimmer could be set to stay off at boot and if the float is set up as a sensor then the application could be triggered to turn it on when the water level is ok.

Or maybe a combination of both approaches.

It all seems like a good idea so I'll keep analyzing it but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
(04-12-2021, 03:57 AM)john@sjkproducts.com Wrote: Hello,

Thanks again!
John

I think what Jose is suggesting should work.
  • Try adding a sensor and place at the level you want the skimmer to turn on.
  • Add the sensor to the ATO tab and for "control" select "equipment" and then select the skimmer from the drop down list.
Now the skimmer should only run when the water level is low in sump, if the sensor logic is flipped you can go to the "configuration" -> "connectors" and edit the connector for the sensor port you use, tick the "reverse" option. Then go to the "Admin" tab and press the "reload" button. At this point things should be working as expected.

If you need more help maybe start a new thread so we don't fill this one with unrelated talk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two issues: Failed to init I2C & Reef-pi.service not Binding BlakeD 6 2,204 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Code changes / repo mginster 1 1,264 10-21-2022, 07:20 PM
  Reef-Pi or Robo-Tank 6.x Wolfw28 6 2,781 09-01-2022, 01:11 AM
  reef-pi with v2 controller gandalf 1 1,438 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM