Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection between display and power bar board lost
Question 
Hi All,

After your help getting my display working I was able to set up the internet access and a few sensors. They all worked exactly as advertised. I left it all running checking in periodically to make sure everything was running correctly. At about the 36 hour mark my display could no longer connect to the power bar (little red plug in the top right corner). I have tried a new cable, reloading the sketches, reseating all the connections and using the sync system option with no change. I have hooked up each Arduino to monitor the serial line and it all looks normal to me, except.... no connection. Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
Reply to top
That is very odd for it to be connected for so long and then stop but every thing else is going fine and before you reloaded the mega did you use a Eeprom clear command it is in the IDE libraries and change 512 to 4096 it is in the middle of the sketch then uploaded don't save when closing and when you did the DUE it wrote out the clearing Eeprom all the little
=
==
===
===
====
all that on the bottom then said it was done uploading
Reply to top
I ran the eprom_clear sketch on the mega with no problems, however the due gets an avr/eeprom.h: No such file or directory . Is there another header I need to include?. Any way I tried an different due with the same problem. I am wondering if the issue is on the power bar board because the internet functionality also stopped working at the same time. That may me a function of the display not syncing. Just a thought.
Reply to top
when you get to that part push the little red reset button and click on upload again and it should take it then
Reply to top
just to clarify when uploading your sketch to the DUE and you get that error the due gets an avr/eeprom.h: No such file or directory just push the red reset button on the DUE do not disconnect any thing or start over just push the red button then click on upload and it should go on the second time.. I thought Rob had this fixed but I guess not

But this is here for who ever needs it in the future
Reply to top
I get the error when I try to upload the eprom_clear sketch. I tried pressing the reset button on the due after a failed attempt to load the sketch with the same result. I'm guessing whatever Rob fixed is in his code not in the eprom_clear sketch code. I get the same error with no board plugged in just using the verify button in the IDE. I did try another due with the same results.
Reply to top
are you trying to use the Eeprom clear on the DUE if so it will not take it the DUE has no onboard memory to clear like the mega

the display sketch has the clear memory for the DUE and every thing else coded right in to it and to make sure your plugging your usb cable in to the usb closest to the power plug on the board
Reply to top
Hello,
I got the same issue and i fixed that by uploading the eprom clear sketch given by Rob on the previous version (1.5. November). If it may help.
Reply to top
USING it on the DUE ??
Reply to top
Yes on both due and mega
Reply to top
that is strange but hay give it ago if it works fantastic up and running :)
Reply to top
Oh.... In fact, my issue was not between display and power board. I did not manage to upload sketches on both due.
Reply to top
Dom59 I found the sketch you were referring to called DUE_EEPROM_Defaults. I ran it but still have the same problem, no communication between the display and the power bar. rott, i'm not sure what you mean by "and to make sure your plugging your usb cable in to the usb closest to the power plug on the board" are you referring to the cable between the power bar and the ethernet board?

rott, I think your right the eprom_clear is for the mega only.

OK interesting development, I have the internet page for my Robo-Tank up. I just tried pressing the feed fish icon on the display , When I did the internet page updated showing all the pumps off. After 6 minutes the screen went from feeding mode to regular mode and the internet page updated showing the pumps back on. So there is some communication going on even though I get a red plug in the upper right hand corner and I can't sync the system.
Reply to top
rott, i'm not sure what you mean by "and to make sure your plugging your usb cable in to the usb closest to the power plug on the board" are you referring to the cable between the power bar and the ethernet board?

I meant while programing it.

rott, I think your right the eprom_clear is for the mega only.

I figured as much, the DUE has no Eeprom chip on it there is one on the pcb that the DUE connects to
Reply to top
Hi ChrisC, sorry it hasn't gone so smoothly for you, it is strange that it was all working and suddenly quite, that makes me think its hardware related. Mine ran without a glitch while I away using v1.6 and I was always able to connect to the controller remotely all the time. Later tonight I'm going to try and put a few test sketches together that will test everything so its easier to find the problem. If you can open the webpage again try pressing the Feed Button on the webpage to see if the display updates and relays click to new states. Rest assure I will do whatever it takes to get you up and running.
Reply to top
Hi Rob welcome home, I just tried pressing the Feed Button on the web page. It had no effect on the display screen nore did it update the pumps on the web page.
Reply to top
What happens when you disconnect the expansion hub from the power bar, does the green plug stay green? Tomorrow I'll work on those test sketches so we can pin it down better.
Reply to top
Hi ChrisC, I attached some test sketches to try. Upload each sketch to the respected arduino and power up the complete system at the same time. Open the serial window on the display arduino and see what it says. If you get to "Test Complete" the hardware is doing what it should.

Attached Files
.zip   Test Sketches.zip (Size: 2.13 KB / Downloads: 180)
Reply to top
Rob,

I downloaded the sketches and ran them. The serial port was set to 9600 baud
I have posted the serial output for each sketch below:

ehternet_test:

Initializing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.

Display_Test:

Initializing sd card...
Wait 5 seconds for test to begin
Serial1 Sent Signal to Power Bar

Powerbar_Test:

nothing was displayed

I made sure the other two processors were loaded with the Robo tank software and were running.
What do you think?
Reply to top
You only need the check the serial window on the Display Due, it will say everything. When everything is connected if you press the reset button on the display due by the programming port it'll run the test again. Between the display and power bar this is what you should get.

Initializing sd card...
Wait 5 seconds for test to begin
Serial1 Sent Signal to Power Bar
Serial1 Received Signal From Power Bar
Serial1 Working
Serial2 Sent Signal to Power Bar
Serial2 Received Signal From Power Bar
Serial2 Working
Checking Expansion Hub

Try it again and if you get the same on the display sketch then something is wrong with the hardware.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Display Cable Right one Gordon Lehmann 2 4,277 03-02-2019, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lehmann
  Troubleshoot display board Skwerl77 7 6,843 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Display question jmcadsl 29 24,287 08-20-2018, 10:12 PM
  LED DRIVER AND BOARD aron04 21 20,230 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM