Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative autofeeder wiring
Nice thanks, I’ll try it when the kids are sleeping :p
Reply to top
Sounds good, if you need anything else let me know.
Reply to top
So, as I'm interested in this feeder too, what's the current state ? would it work preserving the stock control panel on LCD plus management from reef-pi ?
Which are the customization needed on the feeder ?
Feeder would be powered by reef-pi or batteries are still needed ?
Reply to top
Glad you found this post, I knew there was talk about another feeder but couldn't find it. I read back and it should work however it looks like after it get's powered down it has default values it restores. Also the issue with it requiring pulses but you could probably just set multiple schedules in a row to get it to run extra. Batteries would be optional I think, if you use batteries you would still need to connect the ground from controller to feeder.
Reply to top
I'm printing a simple fish feeder, there are some that works with a servo with 3 pins (gnd,vcc and pwm).
Can I use them with the feeder port ?

Like this: https://www.az-delivery.de/it/products/a...servo-sg90
Reply to top
If that servo uses PWM you'll need to use a PWM/Analog port, the feeder port won't work. In reef-pi I think if you setup as a doser it should work. In my app you could define port as a doser or DC port and run it like that till the feed mode is added.
Reply to top
do you know how to write in pin 7 with python? Is the Feeder pin native on rpi or via pca expander like the dosing pumps?
Reply to top
Based on v2 PDF manual, the feeder ports is available via PCA9685 like any other DC/Dosing ports, so it should be PWM too , isn't it ?
Anyway, If I connect just gnd and vcc, the servo tries to power up and move but as soon as I plug the data wire, it stop to work.

I think I have to use the data signal to, but how ?
Reply to top
Sorry I don't know python, a couple years ago when I started looking into making a Pi program I went with python but that didn't go so well, very different compared to c++ and I couldn't manage it.

The feeder port does use a pin from PCA9685 however the PWM signal goes into a mosfet and doesn't make it to the actual port. When the feeder port is turned on the signal/data pin is a ground.
Reply to top
hi rob if a feeder has an internal clock to set feeder is there any real reason to add it to the controller? I see it as one less thing to add to the controller I am looking at this feeder
https://usakoi.com/sunsun-solar-feeder.html

is is out of stock there but other places have it in stock
Reply to top
No reason to add it, only benefit is you can manually run it from anywhere.
Reply to top
i've seen than vcc and gnd are always powered on. if i plug only these two cables, the servo Always run. as soon as i plug the signal cable, the servo stops.

should i only use signal, as ground , and +3.3v as vcc ignoring the gnd?

another test i would like to do is putting a very simple nodemcu board in the printed Feeder and let robotank poower It when he need to feed. then the Feeder Will be handled by the nodemcu
Reply to top
Yeah if you just want to turn on/off you can move the servo ground to the feeder signal. Like this when you turn on the port the servo will run.
Reply to top
as i've dismissed the idea of a 3d printed food feeder, i would like to buy the JBL

it's not clear if Is working with Robo Tank (After soldering the cables) and if the LCD display still works

i have to choose between the eheim and the JBL. the JBL is White (i prefere It than black) and has an aerator hole to keep the food dry

suggestions?
Reply to top
Sorry I can't answer about the JBL with confidence, I only know how the Eheim is wired.
Reply to top
Gandalf,

With the arduino based robo tank it works like a charm.
The 3.3v lets the feeder think it’s battery is almost empty but other than that it’s just like normal

As for wiring, just scroll back a bit.
There are some pictures on how I wired mine
[-] The following 1 user Likes fietsenrex's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
All the controllers that have the feeder port work the same so it'll be compatible.
Reply to top
Is the LCD screen still usable after wiring to robo-tank ?
Reply to top
Yes, it still works.
You can also set it up just using the power from the robo-tank so you don’t need battery's to run the feeder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fietsenrex's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiring Analog 0-10v lights hemiroyd 3 6,188 11-04-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Rob F