Controller face plates won't be available until mid March 2020.
This is the deluxe DIY controller with one 8 outlet AC power bar for Reef-pi, plug in your Raspberry Pi and you're ready to reef.
- Deluxe controller circuit board
- Automatic top off extension board
- 8 Outlet AC power bar circuit board (outlets optional)
- 19 2-4 pin pluggable screw terminal connectors
- 12v DC power adapter to power up the controller/ Raspberry Pi, between 3-10 Amps depending on the DC equipment you connect to controller
- Standard DB9 9 pin Serial cable to connect power bar to controller
- Standard USB-A Male to Male cable to connect ATO extension board
- 8 AC outlets, solder wires to your own or add them to your order on right side of page
- Raspberry Pi Zero W, Pi 3 or Pi 4
- If you add the pH circuit you need a probe
Optional pH Circuit
If you want to monitor pH you will need a circuit. Due to the cost I've left this as an option on the right side of the page. The deluxe controller board has a placeholder so it can be soldered flush to the board integrating it into the system. You can connect up to 3 additional pH circuits using the spare header pins. Note the circuit I offer is fully isolated and can be set to read either pH or ORP, you can also use the pH circuit from Atlas Scientific however it will cost quite a bit more.
Circuit Board Assembly Options
The base listing has the circuit boards coming to you fully assembled and tested. The AC power circuit board doesn't have any AC outlets mounted, you can solder wires to your own outlets or add some to your order on the right side of the page. The outlets I sell require a small plastic tab to be cut (easy) and they solder directly to the circuit board leaving the AC power bar completely wire free internally. If you order the outlets I also ship a 3D printed 4mm thick plate that holds the outlets securely in place, you can mount the plate so there is no stress on the circuit board.
If you enjoy basic soldering you can save $25 using the option on the right side, using this option I will solder all the surface mount components and power connector on controller circuit board to test it and you can solder the other connectors and header pins.
The AC power bar circuit board will come with all the SMD components mounted and requires you to solder the 8 relays, IEC main power socket, fuse holder, DB9 Serial socket, 8 large resistors and 8 large capacitors.
All the green dots on the main image are the solder points.
3D Printed Cases and Face Plate
I've designed a case to house the controller and AC power bar that you can 3D print yourself or order one on the right side of the page. There are 3 versions available to match the Raspberry Pi being used as the plugs are different. You can also add a face plate for the top of the case where the port connectors and headers come out, requires glue. I will also have an editable and printable version so you can personalize the case, you can get it printed as a sticker and cutout holes for the plugs.
8 Outlet AC Power Bar Circuit Board
The AC power bar circuit board can handle 10 Amp at 120v - 240v, The power bar has no wires internally and is protected with a replaceable 10 Amp fuse. Each of the 8 relays are protected with a heavy duty snubber so they won't be damaged from inductive loads such as motors. The board doesn't come with AC outlets but you can add them on the right side of the page.
- 8 switchable outlets
- On board 5x20mm replaceable 10 Amp fuse
- 120v - 240v AC Input / Output
- Each outlet can support up to 10 Amps
- Power Bar can support up to 10 Amps maximum between all 8 outlets
- Heavy duty snubbers protecting relays from inductive loads
- Connects to controller using a standard DB9 9 pin Serial cable (not included)
Controller is Small in size but it packs a punch
All Robo-Tank hardware is built using high quality, over sized components so you can expect it to operate for many years to come. The Reef-pi deluxe controller board is 140mm x 102mm squared off. The Raspberry Pi gets power through the board so you only need a 12v DC power supply to power the full system. If you use a Pi 3 or 4 two of the outside edges are lined up with the edge of the controller board so you have access to the ports through the case.
Emergency Backup Float Switch Port for DC Port 3
This is a special backup port for DC port 3, a float switch is connected, if open DC port 3 will turn off. It bypasses the Raspberry Pi and other electronics so it always works.
Automatic Top Off Expansion Board
An advance feature on the deluxe controller is the USB port for the automatic top off system. Wiring can get messy and fragile connections for your sensors when you DIY an ATO but with the ATO USB port you don't need to cut a single wire. The controller comes with a miniature connector expansion board, this allows you to plug the optical sensor and backup float switch with the connectors that come factory installed on the optical sensor. Then simply plug the connection expansion into the controller using any length USB cable. The sensors can be used for things other than ATO functions.
Click the image below to load an interact 3D model, press bottom right button to go full screen and use mouse wheel to zoom in and pan around. Note the case, face plate and pH circuit shown in the image below are optional on this listing.
Ports, Ports and more Ports
There are a total of 40 ports, as the board comes you can connect any any combination of the following up to a count of 40.
- Up to 24 relays for AC outlets
- Up to 10 DC powered devices (12v default, with external power supply 6v-48v)
- Up to 21 digital sensors
- Up to 9 5v PWM ports
- DS18B20 temperature sensors (multiple sensors technically share a port and can only use one port)
- Up to 4 pH circuits
This is how I've allocated the 37 ports using specific connectors to make connections easy. The above list reflects what can actually connect to these ports, these are only labels. For example, after 16 relays you would use some 5v PWM ports or use some relay ports for more digital sensors.
- 16 Relays for AC Outlets - two DB9 serial sockets
- 7 Heavy Duty DC Ports - each port has a 2 pin pluggable screw terminal connector
- 2 Standard DC Ports - uses header pins
- 1 Auto Feeder Port (standard DC) - uses a 3 pin pluggable screw terminal connector
- 1 Emergency Backup Float Switch Port - uses a 2 pin pluggable screw terminal connector
- 3 Digital Sensor Ports - each port has a 3 pin pluggable screw terminal connector
- 2 Digital Sensor Ports - uses a USB-A female socket
- 8 5v PWM Ports - uses two 4 pin pluggable screw terminal connectors
- 7 DS18B20 Temperature Ports - 3 use a 3 pin pluggable screw terminal connector, 4 use header pins
Reef-pi DIY Deluxe Aquarium Controller + AC Power Bar PCB Kit
- Product Code: reefpiDkit
- Availability: Pre-Order